[Question] how can i remove that malware icon?

grafx1

my windows was infected by a malware program and i'd uninstalled it, but there is still an icon in the system tray which can't remove it !! see the screenshot:

and i can't find anything strange running in taskmanager !!

any help please...

Edited by grafx1

I'd say it's best to make sure your machine is clean (from safe mode) with programs like hijackthis, spybot S&D, and Windows Defender. I'd also say make sure your antivirus software is up-to-date, and do a complete scan with that as well. I see nothing strange in the task manager listing you show, but you also don't have the "show processes for all users" check box checked, so it could be something running as someone else interactively. If the taskbar message is still showing up, it's not gone yet.

Thanks cluberti for the programs list you provide, they are very usefull :thumbup

Well it's not hard to mention good malware programs. Those applications have been around for many, many, many years. If you search any search engine or forum for "spyware" or "malware" you'll be overrun by enough repeated information to make your PC BSOD.

Everyone seems to think doing one small fix will clean their system entirely of any/all malware. Not the case. it takes several programs and many troubleshooting steps to fight off today's malware. They also seem to think searching isn't necessary for they have a unique circumstance or that they are the first ever to get what is called "spyware" so they create a thread called, "omfg infected comp hlp me plzzz!" and fail to provide any information other than "my pc is infected, what do I do?"

What do you think you do?

This is moreso a rant than anything else. It's not directed at you, Grafx1, just people in general.

Easiest way to avoid having to decomtaminate an infected PC:

1. Surf smart

2. Keep your documents and personal files on a different drive/partition than your OS and apps.

3. Always keep any installation CDs for the hardware and software on your PC in a common location so you can easily reinstall anything.

4. nLite and RyanVM Post SP2 Update Pack -- With just these two tools you can easily customize an XP installation CD with your own preferences and fully up to date with all Microsoft updates. (see unattended forums for even more discussions on how nLite and other tools can help).

Basically my point is this: I never have to worry about cleaning an infected system because I prefer to follow the guidlines above and if needed, wipe hard-drive and reinstall the OS in very minimal time (much less time than it usually takes to find and remove and infection, with much less headaches).

I find many people without a lot of experience installing OS think that doing so will be a lot harder (and like giving up), but if you keep yourself prepared, it's the easiest way to go, IMO.

...time to step off my soapbox...

4. nLite and RyanVM Post SP2 Update Pack -- With just these two tools you can easily customize an XP installation CD with your own preferences and fully up to date with all Microsoft updates. (see unattended forums for even more discussions on how nLite and other tools can help).

True and using nLite to integrate drivers and add-ons while removing unneeded Languages, Drivers and Keyboard Layouts to save over half (50%) of your install size is very fast and efficient compared to other methods.

However, I'd never recommend to a general user to go through nLite as they are bound to screw something up and p*** on me for recommending it. Do it for them.

Lol, I had to call in to Activate my mother-in-law's copy of XP Home last weekend. That was the first time I did that. Was interesting. :P