FOR EXPERTS: Audio Stuttering

jcarle

'Guess I ain't buying a Foxconn board anytime soon.

Aside from the single issue I have (had) with my 3Com network card, which we can't even necessarily put the blame on the motherboard for, Foxconn motherboards are very very stable.

A lot of people don't even know that Foxconn is the world's largest OEM. Foxconn makes most of the motherboards, circuit boards, connectors for most large OEMs such as Dell and HP/Compaq.

Edited by jcarle

Well, it looks like they went out of their way, parting from the reference implementation in the chipset dev kit (which used a PCIe version), to using something stupid. I bet they saved a whole 5 cents too.

'Guess I ain't buying a Foxconn board anytime soon.

When you're a manufacturer, that 0.05 multiplied by the massiev amounts of product becomes a huge savings. I see similar wierd things on cheap mobos - "as long as it works" seems to be their idea.

When you're a manufacturer, that 0.05 multiplied by the massiev amounts of product becomes a huge savings. I see similar wierd things on cheap mobos - "as long as it works" seems to be their idea.

That's precisely why I said that. They save 5 cents on a board, but I'd rather pay more for a board with a good NIC on it.

As for "as long as it works", yeah, I've seen many ghetto things, like a board without even the clear CMOS jumper (the pads were there, and you could short them, but the savings must have been pretty minimal overall).

• 9 months later...

Man, I was just saved a lot of grief by this Forum! I just wanted to say THANKS. I have almost the same issue, but was able to narrow it down to my WUSB300N wireless usb card! Once I unplugged it and got off my network the audio plays without stuttering. As far as the root cause, it may be an IRQ request but I sure cannot find it. If I get to the bottom of it I will let the Forum know.

Thanks Again

"The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to plug it up" Scotty