Internet Explorer 7

prx984

I'm currently trying to figure out why Internet Explorer has been doing this.

I have installed IE7 on 3 computers. 2 laptops and 1 desktop. The 2 laptops I can understand would do this, but my desktop?

Anyway, my problem is, IE7 has a very pecular problem where, when I scroll on certain pages, its jumpy. It lags too sometimes. IE6 did this too, but only on pages that were riddled with ads and flash crap and especially with java BS. It also seems very predominate on Googles search results pages.

I have found a work around, but I'd prefer not to use it mainly because its possibly the dumbest thing I have ever personally seen. (The work around was to disable visual themes on buttons, which takes away the entire point in having a visual style IMO on XP.)

I would like to know if anyone else is having this issue and if they know another work around for it. If so, post here.

PS: I have also made a bug report to Microsoft talking about it. However, I highly doubt they would take it seriously because I have a PII 366 (I took IE7 off of my desktop and my laptops because of this issue and have moved over to FireFox.)

I have no problem running, its just scrolling on certain webpages is jumpy. It's really beginning to irritate me because theres no reason this should have happened.

Are you using the XP Luna theme on your 266? If you use the Classic theme, thats why your not seeing the jumpy scrolling.

Edited by Cygnus

What are the system specifications on your 266?

I'm using a DELL Inspiron 7000 with 256MB of Ram and 384MB of Ram (I have 2 Inspiron 7000 laptops) with 4MB and 8MB video card (respectively, ATi Rage Pro) and they are both PII 366's. They run Windows XP just fine, and IE6 worked perfectly. IE 7 scrolls jumpy (only certain pages have the scrolling issue), Firefox 1.5.0.8 and 2.0 work just fine, as does Opera.

I wish that the option in IE7 wasn't the fix. I like having the XP themed buttons in IE, it looks a lot nicer.

Heres what I'm refering to:

th_ieoptions.png

It makes no sense to me :blink:

Nothing definitive on the cpu usage. Goes up, but so does Firefox/Opera. Firefox and Opera peek at 78% where as IE7 is about 80%.

The image does that on all browsers, but with IE7 its the actual page scrolling. It only happens on pages with a search box too (this is what I found on a few websites) and thats where the "Enable visual styles on buttons and controls in webpages." option was questioned.

Check the third element from the end in Navigation. Who knows ?

What do you mean by this?

What are the system specifications on your 266?

I'm using a DELL Inspiron 7000 with 256MB of Ram and 384MB of Ram (I have 2 Inspiron 7000 laptops) with 4MB and 8MB video card (respectively, ATi Rage Pro) and they are both PII 366's. They run Windows XP just fine, and IE6 worked perfectly. IE 7 scrolls jumpy (only certain pages have the scrolling issue), Firefox 1.5.0.8 and 2.0 work just fine, as does Opera.

I wish that the option in IE7 wasn't the fix. I like having the XP themed buttons in IE, it looks a lot nicer.

Heres what I'm refering to:

th_ieoptions.png

It makes no sense to me :blink:

System specs

Dell Dimension XPS D266, a PII 266 with 256MB RAM, the original nVIDIA RIVA 128 4MB AGP display card and a clean install using Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade.

Edited by Esquire

I notice same problem i had with a p3 600 with 768 ram nv5200fx 128 video...scrolling is lagging a bit

However on my sempron 3000 with 1 gig ram and same video card as above...no problems with scrolling

So im guessing ie7 needs cpu power...so from now on with my old p3 ill just stick to ie6 to update and firefox 2.0 for browser

I have found a work around, but I'd prefer not to use it mainly because its possibly the dumbest thing I have ever personally seen. (The work around was to disable visual themes on buttons, which takes away the entire point in having a visual style IMO on XP.)
That makes perfect sense, since visual themes = bitmaps, and when you're scrolling it has to bitblt them - IE7 "programmers" probably wrote their own software-bitblt routines that completely bypasses the hardware bitblt (several orders of magnitude faster) that's been in every video chip since the early 1980s.

I ask, do you really care how a couple of buttons look? :whistle:

That makes perfect sense, since visual themes = bitmaps, and when you're scrolling it has to bitblt them - IE7 "programmers" probably wrote their own software-bitblt routines that completely bypasses the hardware bitblt (several orders of magnitude faster) that's been in every video chip since the early 1980s.

I ask, do you really care how a couple of buttons look? :whistle:

Yah, because I don't like the Windows classic theme (plus it looks horrid how it handles that). Also, I find it dumb that IE6 worked better than IE7 on the same hardware. It just makes no sense to me.

I have noticed that IE7 works better when I put my laptop to 16bit color, but I'd rather bot do that because then the icons look like crap.

Edited by Cygnus