Infrared Fart

net_user

Ya, but not Flash 9 or whatever it is that an increasing number of sites want me to install lately. Flash's ubiquity and rabidly upgrading fanbase scare me. Yeah. I'm paranoid. Call it the Battlestar Galactica defense.

The video is fake. You can tell because the display says WHITE (indicating white=hot mode) and his arm is white (hot) along with other things that are hot like the people's hands and feet. So that gas is probably an aerosol in his obscured hand since the gas would be quite cold coming from the can. Plus it looks like the fingers on his right hand are colder than they should be when you compare them to the person that walks past. That could indicate that he was recently holding something in that hand that was cold...such as a can of aerosol. Or he just doesn't get good blood flow to his fingers.

Who knew analyzing farts could be so much fun?

I think the other services use that term for some IR systems on their tanks and boats. Pretty flexible acronym, really. Just means Foward Looking InfraRed so it can me applied to many things even though I think it was marketed under that name, perhaps as a brand, at one time.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not fake, its just not really infra red, its thermal. Many Forward Looking Infra-Red (FLIR) units have the capability to switch from just infrared to thermal. I think its either a hand held or mounted unit. You can buy a unit on line that will do the same thing as this little video shows.

I happen to have one I bought a year ago, cost me $1800.00 for a nice hand held unit, we use it to record and track temperture change distribution in ceramic circuit board substrates. But that doesn't mean we don't have a little fun with it too :)

Edited by Spooky

Its not fake, its just not really infra red, its thermal. Many Forward Looking Infra-Red (FLIR) units have the capability to switch from just infrared to thermal. I think its either a hand held or mounted unit. You can buy a unit on line that will do the same thing as this little video shows.

I happen to have one I bought a year ago, cost me $1800.00 for a nice hand held unit, we use it to record and track temperture change distribution in ceramic circuit board substrates.

Nice information.

But that doesn't mean we don't have a little fun with it too :)

Maybe a little too much information. :o

DL

Edited by DL

I happen to have one I bought a year ago, cost me $1800.00 for a nice hand held unit, we use it to record and track temperture change distribution in ceramic circuit board substrates. But that doesn't mean we don't have a little fun with it too :)

Please explain the difference between IR and thermal as you perceive it and as it relates to this video. I am aware of some terminology differences (low-light, near IR, true IR, etc.) but have been taught that thermal and (true) IR are defined by the same spectrum range of roughly 3 to 15 microns (this can vary greatly depending on your info source). There are also differences based on emitted vs. reflected energy or even radiation vs. convection vs. conduction, but these all tend to ultimately fall back to a spectral definition as well.

Please explain the difference between IR and thermal as you perceive it and as it relates to this video.

On a side note. From what I understand, some/all digital cameras are IR capable but have a filter in them to stop that portion of the spectrum hitting the ccd(?) chip. We had a Sony vid camera that was IR capable and used an infrared light to light the subject and it had to be close to the camera. The camera wouldn't show how warm or cold the subject was. I never saw much use in the feature for general use. It doesn't make a pretty picture.

DL