netgear Ethernet Switch (FS605) software

Hey everyone, i got a network switch off of my friend but he had lost the software for it, it's a NetGear 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch (FS605), if anyone has or knows where i can get the software drivers for it please let me know.

thank you for reeding! :thumbup

The only thing it should have come with is documentation - it's not a managed L2 switch (and it certainly isn't L3). Therefore, it's just a basic switch - it will have no software, You should be able to plug it in and use it.

Well, first you need to know what kind of speeds you are getting - since that's a 10/100Mb switch, best thing to start with is to make sure that the network interface cards on all of the machines using the switch are of good quality (cheap-quality NICs make slow networks), and configured to be at 100Mb/Full (speed/duplex) rather than auto negotiate. After that, you need to start doing some network tracing (wireshark, netmon, whatever works for you) to start watching your network. That'll give you some idea of what your network traffic looks like, and what to do about it.

**** ok because i do alot of gaming but i don't know much about networking and when i'm playing lan games it is a bit laggy to connect to each pc, is there anyway i can increese the speed of my network? without buying a diff hub?

frankly, even if you have just 10 PC's on a 100MB network, you shouldn't experience any network-based lag. Any other lag would probably be PC induced.

If you're using XP, go to your network connections and check the connection status for your Local Area Connection (that's the default name). In the Connection section, it should tell you the speed. Make sure it's at 100MB. If it's not, you can force it to work at that speed if the NIC supports it by going to the properties of the device via the following (again, assuming XP)

open the connection status as before, and click on the button at the bottom labeled "properties". From the next window, click the "configure" button that's at the top. From the next window, click on the advanced tab, and depending on your particular card, look through the list on the left to see which one allows you to change the connection speed. Set it to the highest available, full duplex

Thank you for your helo this has made my network fly it is faster then ever!, but it still isent as fast as the school network, how can i make it as fast as that? the schools network is so fast that when you open a network folder it's as if it's on the local pc.

• 2 weeks later...

OK i got another networking hub it's a duel-speed 8 prt hub the model number is SOHO-DH8P,

and my q is witch would be faster a NetGear 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch (FS605) or a duel-speed 8 prt hub the model number is SOHO-DH8P.

thank for reading.

Oh sorry i was in a bit of a hurry.

when i start the network setup wizard i select this conputer connects directly to the internet and other computer connect throug this pc.

and i click next it freezes for a second, then i select witch device i get my internet from i select the device, then it asks for witch device i want to network with, i select the correct device, and i turn on file and printer sharing, then it will start to configure then it will just stop and say it connot complete the network setup wizard.

This is causing proplems with my pc.

1. i cannot connect to the internet on my other pc

2. the internet doesent always connect.

3. it has trouble sometimes finding other pc's on the network.

so as you see i need a solution to this problem. :wacko:

p.s this is a link to the hubs information. http://www.weitronic.com.tw/Internet/HUBS/Web/SOHO-DH8P.htm

Edited by mad_dog369

i find that the SOHO-DH8P is alot faster and it copy's file alot faster aswell and it hasent caused any problems so far!

so i think i might stick with it. :D

p.s where can i get the Drivers & Utilities for the net gear wg602 v2 wireless access point?

as i got one second hand w/o the box or cd.

Edited by mad_dog369