Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

***HELP ANYONE!!!!****

No working fine, however i now have a problem with the hotfixes that i have tried to install from the svcpack,

here a copy....

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

MajorVersion=5

MinorVersion=1

BuildNumber=2600

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\i386\Update"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

KB826939.cat

[setupHotfixesToRun]

update.exe -q -n

Q330994.EXE /Q:A /R:N

JS56NEN.EXE /Q:A /R:N

Q817778.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q819696.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q823182.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q824105.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q824141.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q824145.EXE /Q:A /R:N

Q825119.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q828035.exe /Q /N /Z /O

Q811114.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q823980.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q811493.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q814995.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q815021.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q817606.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q820291.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q821253.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q821557.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q822603.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q823559.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q824146.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q829558.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

Q329048.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

QCHAIN.EXE

Q828026.EXE /Q /N /Z /O

DX9NTopk.exe

DOTNETFW.exe

have i used the wrong switches??????

cheers nick

:)

Strange things are happening.......

I have created my own hotfixes svspack. ini, works fine

i have also created a main.cmd file and a registry files (attached).

Windows setup installs from the winnt.sif, and the svspack.ini ok and then starts to load my main.cmd file, it starts to install and then the system reboots after the installing Windows Network update...

If i run manually the main.cmd file install ?

main.cmd

Did you mean the Advanced Networking pack? I think you're using the wrong switches for it: /q /n /Q. First you're using two /q switches in it when you only need one, and there's no /z switch to prevent a reboot. Use /? on Q817778.EXE manually to find more information on the available switches.

Two things for you lot, and one of them be a mysterious problem! :)

1) I made a new CD and recently reinstalled XP again, only to discover that it installed approximately zero of the contents in the 'update' directory! So all the critical updates appear on WU, qfecheck reports 'no hotfixes found on system' and I still have DX8.1 and WMP8 active. This is despite the following svcpack.inf (cabbed on the CD):

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="i386\update"

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
DX9NTopk.exe
WMP9.exe
MDAC.exe
js56nen.exe /Q:U /R:N
MSJavWU.exe /Q:U /R:N
Q330994.exe /Q:U /R:N
KB823182.exe /O /U /N /Z
KB824105.exe /O /U /N /Z
KB824141.exe /O /U /N /Z
Q824145.exe /Q:U /R:N
KB825119.exe /O /U /N /Z
KB826939.exe /O /U /N /Z
KB828026.exe /O /U /N /Z
KB828035.exe /O /U /N /Z
KB832353.exe /O /U /N /Z
Q832483.exe
qchain.exe

And my dosnet.inf definitely has this bit at the bottom:

[OptionalSrcDirs]
Update

So I really don't get it. Thing to add is, I didn't watch GUI Setup all the way through, so something may have gone wrong there, but then I probably wouldn't be able to see what seeing as it all flys by too quickly anyway (and the setup wasn't halted by any error in particular).

2) I previously remember that installing the IE Cumulative Update would ensure that the IE shortcuts get created on the desktop, Start Menu and Quick Launch bar even if you set "IEAccess=off" in winnt.sif. Which kinda defeats the point really. Any of you lot know a way of getting round this?

Funnily enough, installing the OE Cumulative Update doesn't circumvent the "OEAccess=off" tag, so the shortcuts remain uncreated.

hi,

to ur 1. point:

if u slipstreamed SR1 - and it look like u tried it - u forgot the update.exe from SR1 and u r using the wrong switches. It should look loke this:

update.exe -q -n
Q330994.exe /Q:A /R:N
Q819696.exe /Q /O /N /Z
qchain.exe

in [setupHotfixesToRun]

hope this helps

cya

Killer Bee

Marztabator - you're missing some information from [Version]:

[Version] 
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

Woah. :rolleyes: How peculiar. I honestly can't remember how my [Version] section ended up being short and incomplete like that. What I do remember is that I copied the general text of it from here, and modified where necessary. I doubt that the highlighted page ever had a short [Version] part in the past, did it? :D

Anyways, thanks for informing me about this very simple and silly little error. :)

@killerbee: Thanks for trying to help, but I already tried the slipstreaming trick before and while it worked out okay, I'm now trying to install it like a normal hotfix as you can see above.

Now that just leaves the shortcut/cumulative situation. Will I have to do it the dirty way and setup a batch to manually delete the extra shortcuts, or is there a cleaner way about it? :D

WAIT!!!! It's starting to all piece together now....

I actually built my svcpack.inf out of the original unmodified one, which for reference is laid out like this:

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="i386\hotfixes"

[SetupHotfixesToRun]

As you can see, the [Version] info only contains the Signature by default! I did not realise before that the other three lines had to be manually added yourself afterwards. Perhaps this is something that should be stressed to all newcomers to prevent similar posts? :)

You're the first to ask :)

Its because on the guide its made obvious that a new svcpack.inf has to be created and deleting the old svcpack.in_, not editing it. Plus, if they did edit it, they would normally compare it against the one on site to check for anything wrong.