minimal vista with ReadyBoost

evisu

I wouldn't expect to see Vista fit on a single CD anytime soon. The very basic core components of Vista alone weigh in at 1 GB.

My Vista iso is 1.07GB after running vLite, and I could save another 220MB if I got rid of the display drivers and wallpaper. Keep in mind that vlite is still in the alpha stage, who knows what else nuhi will enable us to remove. So there is hope of fitting Vista onto a single cd, but no promise.

thanks amigafan thats exactly what i wanted to know

107xMB-220MB = ~850MB another 150ish MB please *dreams* :wub:

for homeBasic users, will it be possible to remove features of other versions which are included on the disc?

Edited by Spooky

thanks for the reply

for a user who only uses browser/foobar(mp3s)/VLC(avis)/msn/(occasionally some online games)

which version would perform smoothest? ultimate or basic?

i dont really need any visualeffects. i know for sure that im gonna use classic themes.

For a user that does the following tasks, I don't even see why you want to upgrade. XP can serve your needs just fine...

I can almost fit my vLite Business Edition onto a single CD using my Plextor burner and GigaRec. With a bit more trimming it'll most like actually fit on one - then the real fun begins. :)

I've burned 985MB CDs before on this thing using TDK 80 min CDRs, it works just fine. The resulting disc was readable in several different CD readers afterwards too.

Should be interesting...

bb

Imho the reason lies in .net framework; winsxs is 1GB. :ph34r:

FYI:

WinSxS is Windows Side-by-Side, which has nothing to do with .NET. It contains different versions of system files, so that older applications with older dll's will run properly without overwriting newer dll's. Surprisingly, it works perfectly, however, it takes up a good chunk of disk space. It's either that, or have severe problems with dll files, like we had years ago with Win9x.

I'm really not sure if Readyboost is worth its weight. I've been running Vista Business at work for the past few weeks, and have not been ABLE to get Readyboost to work properly at all.

In terms of which edition to get, I'd say, get a copy of Home Basic, and customize it with vLite. I'm sure that you could get it down to Windows 2000 specs, which is perfect for gaming, and internet use. There's really no reason for Aero, aside from added flashiness, which has already gotten on my nerves.

FYI:

WinSxS is Windows Side-by-Side, which has nothing to do with .NET. It contains different versions of system files, so that older applications with older dll's will run properly without overwriting newer dll's. Surprisingly, it works perfectly, however, it takes up a good chunk of disk space. It's either that, or have severe problems with dll files, like we had years ago with Win9x.

I thought they were more linked. But I guess all .Net framework 1, 2, 3 files can be found in winsxs. dotnet 1 was 150MB, dotnet2 was 250MB and dotnet3 I don't know.

And anyway, I don't think a 1GB folder is needed nor wishable. What would be the worst thing you could get ? Error such lib was not found ? Google and that's fixed within one single minute.

FYI:

I thought they were more linked. But I guess all .Net framework 1, 2, 3 files can be found in winsxs. dotnet 1 was 150MB, dotnet2 was 250MB and dotnet3 I don't know.

And anyway, I don't think a 1GB folder is needed nor wishable. What would be the worst thing you could get ? Error such lib was not found ? Google and that's fixed within one single minute.

It's a good feature that needs fine-tuning. I'm sure that if Microsoft implanted the ability to check for previous versions of a DLL before just making a copy and sticking it into the WinSxS folder would save some space. I believe, however, that they create a folder with the files based upon the GUID of the program using that/those dll files. This is the reason why the WinSxS folder is so large. Cross-linking files (or Symbolic linking) would also be a viable enhancement for the WinSxS folder, especially for Vista, since SymLinks are now possible. This would further reduce the size of the folder. But, in Microsoft's defense, storage is cheap, so why not use it? My answer to this is that an OS should not take up at minimum, 6GB of hard drive space, excluding SWAP and Hibernation files.

All in all, I'm on your side of this argument... sort of.

WinSxS is Windows Side-by-Side, which has nothing to do with .NET. It contains different versions of system files, so that older applications with older dll's will run properly without overwriting newer dll's.
Aren't the newer DLLs supposed to be backwards-compatible with the older ones?

WinSxS is Windows Side-by-Side, which has nothing to do with .NET. It contains different versions of system files, so that older applications with older dll's will run properly without overwriting newer dll's.
Aren't the newer DLLs supposed to be backwards-compatible with the older ones?

:no:

That's why MS created WinSxS.