Proper usage of Disk and Disc....

Nakatomi2010

So, I'm making a multiboot CD for work in order to resolve my issue with computers not having floppy drives, there are plenty of tools on floppies I use and want to continue using them... So I'm making a multiboot CD for JUST floppy images of various tools that I use on a fairly regular basis, and some that I don't, and then organizing them....

Why not just use the UBCD? Because I like doing somethings myself, if something goes wrong I don't always need someone elses help to fix it...

So... I was trying to think of a name to called this CD and I got to thinking about hiw it's a CD full of floppy disk images...

I am under the impretion that disk refers to things like a hard disk drive, or a floppy disk, and other things like that, while a disc is related to CDs, hence the C instead of a K... So I wanted to call this CD 'The Floppy Disc' or just plain 'Floppy Disc'...

Now, with that name if you were someone else, would that make a little sense?

Edit: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302152 Food for thought....

Edited by Nakatomi2010

I figured it'd be easier to just use a bunch of floppy images than pack a crap load of files onto a CD and hope it all works... I grasp how to make a multiboot CD pretty well, and just figured thi'd be easier....

My flash drive is one of those thumb drives that has that U3 drive on it, so it thinks there's a 5mb CD drive on it.... Hell, it'll try to boot from it like a CDROM drive even if USB booting is disabled....

Edited by Nakatomi2010

"Disk" is the original word for a flat circular object.

"disc" started out in the music industry, refering to a release of music (ie a vinyl disc). In particular, it has the sort of meaning of "album", and more refers to specific packages of music, rather than the actual vinyl itself.

In terms of computer, disc is used to refer to media that comes from the music industry (CD, DVD), while disk is from the computer industry (HD, FD). A floppy disk was 8 inches. Later this appeared as a mini-disk (5 1/4 in), and later a micro-disk (3 1/2 in). The capacities increased from 160k to 1200k to 2880k.

Compact disks are released in the original LP form (5-inch stock), or the original SP form (3-inch stock). The music industry releases singles on LP stock today, but there are occasionally 3-inch disks. The inner track on most cd-rom players are to accomidate the 3-inch format.

While a 3-inch disk is not widely used in the computer industry, they are considerably more robust, and make a handy addition to a remote service kit (they fit in the usual floppy-disk box, for example), and they are used in portibale cameras etc (you can get 3-inch DVD's too!).

W

I figured it'd be easier to just use a bunch of floppy images than pack a crap load of files onto a CD and hope it all works... I grasp how to make a multiboot CD pretty well, and just figured thi'd be easier....
What kernel do they use? If they're custom floppy images that don't have standard filesystems (MemTest86+ is an example) then I can see the point, but if they're all DOS utilities or something similar then having a DOS kernel on each floppy image is just a waste of space, not that it really matters... but still, IMHO it's a bit better to have everything "unified" and accessible from one command prompt. Edited by LLXX

What kernel do they use? If they're custom floppy images that don't have standard filesystems (MemTest86+ is an example) then I can see the point, but if they're all DOS utilities or something similar then having a DOS kernel on each floppy image is just a waste of space, not that it really matters... but still, IMHO it's a bit better to have everything "unified" and accessible from one command prompt.

While being true, it's also easy to have the floppy images because if you suddenly need to actually make the floppy for some reason, the image is on the CD and readily creatable...