ASUS P4P800-UAY

drImax

Hi,

I have a mobo Asus P4P800-UAY and want to add more ram.

Right now there are 2 Kingston 512Mb sticks installed each in a blue slot.

There are 4 ram slots, BLUE>BLACK, BLUE>BLACK.

If want to install a 1Gb ram stick in what slot should I put it?

Also can someone tell me how much ram the mobo at most could handle?

Here is a picture

IMG_1874.jpg

Thanks! :)

Edited by drImax

The blue and black slots are coordinated because that's how the dual channel works.

If you put two matching DIMMs into the two blue slots (or two black slots) they'll work together in dual channel mode increasing it's performance.

You can put the 1GB DIMM in any slot, but I would recommend unless you plan on adding more ram later, that you either get 2 x 1GB or 2 x 512MB so that you continue the dual channel trend you have already. Putting a single DIMM will mean that your first pair will work in dual channel and your 1GB DIMM won't. We're not talking about life or death performance differences but hell, what's the point of upgrading if it's not for better performance?

Thanks for the information, it really helped.

I'm looking to buy a kit of two 1Gb sticks.

I'm only not sure yet if to go with Kingston, Corsair, Crucial or OCZ's RAM. Any suggestions? This PC is mainly used for Battlefield 2 & 2142.

I still have the original box and manual booklet but I think Asus has the same manual booklet for several P4P800 series mobo's. It just says on the book P4P800 but I believe I have a P4P800-S or SE, for sure not deluxe or the other ones.

On the mobo it self it says P4P800-UAY

Thanks again

Edited by drImax

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all its me again.

I have purchased additional ram for my pc.

I have bough a kit of 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR ram. Thats 2x1Gb. The kit cost me $190 CDN after tax.

My question is in what order is it best to install the new ram?

Should I leave my two 512Mb stick in the existing slot and add the new ones in the second ones. OR should I put the two 1Gb OCZ stick in the first two slots and then add the 512 ones in the second. Does it matter at all?

Thanks in advance

How will having 3 gigs slow anything down?

Here's what you do: You've got 2x512MB and 2x1GB. You just need to make sure that one of each is in the same colored slot. 512MB sticks go in blue slots, and 1GB sticks go in black slots (or other way around).

You're done!. You've now got 3GB in dual channel. :)

I just noticed something in that picture that's worrying me. The tab at the top of the left stick seems to be pushed down a bit. Make sure that the RAM stick is firmly pushed into the slot. The tabs should click into the notches on the sticks.