WMP11 is out ...

Kiki Burgh

Sorry if I should post this in the unattended section instead! Quick non-HFSLIP related question:

To install Windows Media Player 11 silently (without any dialog boxes whatsoever), I would use either of the following.

wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe /Q

setup_wm.exe /Q:A /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore

For the second option, what would the switches be if I wanted a passive installation instead (i.e. unattended but showing progress)?

More questions:

Are the following files really needed? If not, can I just use wmp11.exe inside the wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe package, or are other things needed, like the playlists outside of wmp11.exe?

umdf.exe

WindowsXP-MSCompPackV1-x86.exe

wmdbexport.exe

wmpappcompat.exe

Summary: I'm looking for a way to best install the package and have the best compression.

Edited by Super-Magician

Wow... So much bloatware... :D

The playlists aren't needed and I believe those extra files you mentioned aren't either. I will attempt to include everything (except for the graphics) with HFSLIP. I already did a thorough examination of this proggie and the only question that remains is what to do with the KB925749.cab file...

OK, thanks for the reply. Sorry about all my confusing slightly-non-HFSLIP-related questions, but...

1. What switches instead of /Q:A /R:N do I use for a passive install.

2. So, if I just use "setup_wm.exe <switches>" from wmp11.exe (and then install wmfdist11.exe), I'll be fine?

3. If installing/slipstreaming/integrating this, do you still need wmfdist95, KB911564, and/or KB917734?

Yes, there's WAY WAY too much bloatware in there! Oh my! Not only did they have bloat in the form of playlists, they had to pack another whole load of junk into six EXEs and a CAB inside the already-bloated package.

Edited by Super-Magician

1) I don't know. You can use the following but I'm not sure that would get rid of the System Restore dialog too:

wmfdist11.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup

wmp11.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup

2) I'd do it the other way 'round (unless the WM 11 codecs can't be applied to a system that has WMP10)

3) Those are for WMP10

Just an FYI... One of the INFs does a command that involves the sync playlists. So I hope nothing goes wrong if you don't include them.

Thanks, the_guy.

I'm in the process of implementing WMP11 slipstreaming into HFSLIP and can always use other methods to see if I covered everything.

I have yet to come across an addon that slipstreams IE7, though. What I've seen so far is only SVCPACK/RunOnceEx stuff which is not what HFSLIP is all about... :)

Bad news.

WMP11 can't be done. MS made it so that you can't extract it from DOS. Gives a warning about an "invalid Win32 application". I've tried different Type1/2 switches, 7za.exe and EXTRACT.EXE (for the hell of it) and nothing works. I'm only able to extract it manually from Windows... :wacko:

WMP11 can't be done. MS made it so that you can't extract it from DOS.
Sorry for being so dumb, but what do you mean here? Why not just call the executable and make it extract itself to a certain directory? Or are you searching for a pure DOS solution (without Windows running?)
I've tried different Type1/2 switches, 7za.exe and EXTRACT.EXE (for the hell of it) and nothing works.

7za only knows about 7z, zip, gzip, bzip2, Z and tar formats. You need 7z.exe to extract the installer (but this is not a standalone solution and requires other files).

Regards,

Tomalak