Do i really need more Certs!?

truth

Hi everyone. . . im having some trouble at the present time with what i should or shouldnt be doing as far as my studies go for my IT Career.

I have been a help-desk and Student tech. Aid at my old College for about a year, I didnt like the IT program there so i left to a 1 year technical skool called Chubbs Institute. Im about 5 month away from graduating, they helped me to get my first two certifications Comptia A+ & Network +

at the same time wen i made the move to Chubbs from a 2year community college i also found a job as Jr.System Administrator, i do anything from monitoring Backups, Swaping Tapes, Some User Administration: Creating New Users, Deleting Old Users. Monitor 2003 Terminal Servers, just making sure they are up and running, applying updates, assiting remotes user with minor issues, fixing local and network printing issues usually dealing with drivers or crashed spoolers, and im in charge of Deploying Updates for all end-users. There are only about 40-50 users (small company).

ok so now that u kno all that let me get to the point here! Do i really need more Certs!? my boss isnt pushing me to get any other certs, he very supportive of me going to skool n finishing, as im only working part-time right now. When im finish skool i'll be here full-time, not sure what my starting pay is, 1 co-worker told me about $32,000. As this is my first real full-time Job, im ok with that, because i still live at home, and sometimes i get alot of downtime so i feel thats a good start for me.

Now i kno my job here is not secure just like any of us, at anytime something could happen n were off looking for a new job. Im not really worried about losing my job at the moment, and im pretty sure if i did, with about 2 years worth of entry level experience and 2 Comptia Certs, i feel pretty good about being about to land a new job in no time. even if its not the best paying position.

Someone told me, well get more certs means higher pay! im not really modivated by money at all, being that i still live at home im single, and im pretty happy with how things are going in my life, so why should i try get more certs if i feel like i dont have any use for them!?

I kno i kno. . . more certs=more money, higher positions, job security i guess, but having being in my current situation and being very happy in my situation, im not modivated at all to go for my MCSA!?

but i know it really wouldnt hurt to have it!! im just looking for a motive to get it and just dont have it!? please help me find it!

thanks

This topic is debated endlessly. It really comes down to what YOU want. The jobs/employers that you like want certs? Well then there you go.

Ask people who do want you want to do, where you want to do it. Read employer's requirements in job opening ads.

Many people will tell you that certs, education or experience don't matter as long as you have the people skills. Don't forget to have that tool in your kit!

This topic is debated endlessly. It really comes down to what YOU want.

That very much sums it up, couldn't have said better. If you're happy with low paying entry admin jobs with little job security, and are sure you'll always be happy about that, then nobody's forcing you to do anything.

One day you might tire of that repetitive job. Or might have to make mortgage payments, support a family and such (it all happens VERY quickly). Then more education (notice I didn't say "certs") will definitely help, and you might as well take care of that while you have the time and are still into it.

People skills, networking (talking about people here, not ethernet), and business sense can't hurt either.

If you want my opinion go for the MCSA mate i am trying to motivate myself to get it aswell i have just got hold of some learning software with movies so i might start soon because i dont just want to read text all the time

Maybe take a cisco exam if you are interested in networking as well

Hope that helps :)

• 3 weeks later...

Consider it an investment in your career. As more and more companies are into different technologies, and the OEM's are developing certifications for their systems, it can only be a good thing. As a jr. admin, you are doing pretty well, and getting great experience to boot. As much as you'd like to camp there forever, it's just *not* realistic. The turnover rate is high in IT, with people leaving for greener pastures, and widening your skillset is a constant necessity.

Who knows, your attitude may also change -- and theirs might as well -- and you may need to make a change. ANYTHING you can do to put your resume on top of the pile is a bonus. I know some very experienced admins (old-skoolers) that refuse to go the cert route -- and that limits their options, if only for pride and ego (I don't need no steenkin' cert to prove I know what I'm doin'!). Shame, really, but in a high-tech and competitive industry like IT, every feather in your hat is a plus.

Regardless, the A+>Network+>MCSA>MCSE is a natural progression. Peppered with a CCNA (or above), and maybe a RHCE, and you'll look great on paper. Sure, experience is really what counts, but that's not the entire answer in getting a job. A wise man once said ... certs get you past HR, and experience gets you the job. Getting certified shows that you recognize the industry professionalism, and work to embrace it, rather than oppose it. Good Luck!

MCSE World

CertForums

Certifications should never come before experience, but they should be considered important in that it shows some literacy in a particular technological skill, and the follow-through to finish what is started - similar to a college degree, bar certification, or technical diploma. These things say little about your actual skill level and proficiency, but they do show follow-through and a basic proficiency.

Get what certs you are able, but get experience (even if that means interning for a non-profit or other smaller organization for little or no pay). Having experience (even a little) is MUCH more in-demand in the long run by employers. Any place that hires on certs alone (or prefers certs to experience) is not a good place to work as a technical employee, long term. But it might get you experience in return for lackluster pay, which might be worth the trade-off in a few years :).