ready boost

kartel

The minimum requirements for a USB memory device to be readyboost capable is 2.5MB/sec for 4K random access reads and 1.5MB/sec for 512K random writes. Also, at least that data rate has to be achieved across the whole of the device's memory space, not just particular sections of the memory device. When you plug a USB memory device into the system, Vista does a performance check to see if the device meets the specs above, and Vista won't allow you to use a device it ascertains will slow the system down. Note that USB hard drives do not work as readyboost devices.

Microsoft's general recommendation for maximum benefit from readyboost is to match the capacity of the memory device to the size of your system's physical RAM amount. That means that if you have 2GB of physical RAM, you should be using a 2GB USB memory device. Readyboost currently supports devices from 256MB to 4GB in size. In the future (after Vista releases to the general public or thereabouts), we should start seeing USB devices that actually display a "ReadyBoost Capable" logo.

Note that I currently use a Patriot Xporter XT 4GB device on my 4GB Vista machine, and a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 2GB device on my 2GB (used to be 1GB) Vista machine. Both are running post-RC2 builds, and both definitely handle day-to-day tasks better with the readyboost device plugged in.

I don't have an "official" list handly, but there's some data at the link below that may steer you into the right device if you're looking for a readyboost device:

http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/misc/readyboost/

Heres some devices that are supposed to work with readyboost:

Apacer Handy Steno HT203 2GB $65

Corsair Flash Readout 2GB $85 (Corsair Flash Voyager 512 does not work)

Crucial Gizmo Overdrive 2GB $75

OCZ Rally2 2GB $55

Patriot Xporter 2GB $38

Patriot Xporter XT 4GB $85

Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 2GB $85

Sony MicroVault Tiny 1GB $45

Verbatim Store n Go Pro 1GB $49

here are some that people have used and say work:

Steno HN212 (512MB) from Apacer works

1GB Cruzer Mini (the 2GB Cruzer does not work)

Kingston 512

PNY Attache 256

Heres an example of specs on one that does not work:

LG 1.0 Gigabyte Flash drive

Access Time = 1.0 mS

Average Throughput = 9.0 Megabytes per Sec

*Vista doesn't consider it fast enough for ReadyBoost

and...the Kingston Data Traveler has been used and some say it worked in some builds and some say it doesn't work for them currently, you must have gotten one that doesn't work.

Anyway, here is a decent article for readyboost and devices that work

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2017817,00.asp

and heres a Q&A for ready boost: http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/20.../02/615199.aspx

and heres some minimum specs for a readyboost device:

The minimum requirements for a USB memory device to be ReadyBoost capable is 2.5MB/sec for 4K random access reads and 1.5MB/sec for 512K random writes

I've got a more complete list somewhere but can't find it right now, but I don't remember the Kingston Data Traveler being on it.

I went out and got a Kingston Data Traveler 1 GB USB Flash Drive ( DTI/1GB )

and the readyboost thing said it's not compatible, great.

B000AV14M2.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40399810_.jpg

Edited by Spooky