XP fritzed out

bonestonne

ok, im a little afraid of this computer overheating right now, because i'm seeing a steady 100% CPU usage, and i dont know whats causing it.

processorfritz.jpg

thats when it started to go down, but now its back at 100%

processorfritz2.jpg

those are the processes running at the time.

its still way up there, any ideas as to whats causing it?

When did this start happening? Have you made any changes to the system before this occurred? I would strongly suggest using Process Explorer (from sysinternals) to take a look at CPU usage above and beyond what Task Manager is showing, so we can at least learn what process is utilizing the most CPU time. We can go from there, but we need that information over the course of a few hours.

Also, have you considered running autoruns (from sysinternals as well) to disable all non-Microsoft startup items, services, and processes, and ShellExView (from nirsoft.net) to disable all non-Microsoft explorer.exe shell hooks? I'd do this and reboot to see if the problem continues as well.

can't say for sure what made that happen. i put in my ATA/66 PCI card, had my DVD+RW drive going into it, and when i turned this thing on, it said it had some problem booting, so i turned it off, took out the drive and PCI card, then rebooted. it then gave me an error on reboot about an error with my PCI ethernet card. i didn't want to go through too much bs, so i let it go and continue booting normaly. it started correctly, but the processor usage was very heavy, lowest of 38%, highest 100% and sometimes it held a steady 100% for a few minutes.

the problem ended, but i found three processes that used lots of CPU, and they are:

svchost.exe - 14,848K

explorer.exe - 17,008K

vsmon.exe - 17,328K

it took my computer a very long time to load things on boot when it happened..mostly the internet connections, and firewall. avast and audio started somewhat quickly.

the only programs i had running were cpu-z, to moniter my clock speed and voltage so i'd see if it went too far over [and it did several times] and trillian, to talk to amanda :wub: [very long story] and then task manager to watch usage.

here are the pics in links:

http://www.freewebs.com/bonestonne/processorfritz.bmp

http://www.freewebs.com/bonestonne/processorfritz2.bmp

VSMON.EXE ... ZoneAlarm firewall?

Try disabling that and see what happens.

Also, I'm not going to even try downloading your huge BMPs. The problem is you used the wrong compression method; JPG is intended for images like photographs and the such. GIF and PNG are more suited to the type of pictures I assume those to be.

Edited by LLXX

Check whether or not your drives are running in DMA mode or PIO mode. If they're in PIO mode, set them to Ultra-DMA and reboot the computer. If that doesn't stick, then uninstall the IDE controllers and reboot again. PIO access can be quite CPU intensive and bring your system to a crawl.

ok, for the sake of ending the argument, you try opening photoshop with 50% CPU usage without trying to kill the processor. i used paint. done with.

i took the IDE controller out, becuase it said that it failed to boot. first time i had the problem, and i dont want it to happen again. the next time i got to comp USA, which will be in 2 or 3 weeks, i'll have them take a look at it, see if they can tell me anything extra because it seems to cause an error in booting.

yesterday nothing was wrong, so im going to guess that it has something to do with the IDE controller, but no bets, i don't want it to happen again.