Pentium 4 CPU Temp too high?

Aaron

my Abit mobo has a softmenu in the bios, I think it does CPU/PCI/AGP and I just raise it or lower it. It can go up to 6Ghz (no way I'm ever gonna try that!)

With high quality hardware and proper air cooling I have seen people OC the p4 3.0 to 3.8. But thats the highest on air I have seen.

Watercooling (which is the next item on my list within a 2 week period) I have seen 4.5

THG o/clocked a 3.06Ghz processor to 5Ghz by running a refrigeration unit on it, I think they tried going higher but eventually ended up frying it

I installed the vantec aeroflow fan using artic silver 3 this afternoon, very happy with it :D

Stock speed is 3.0GHz (not 3.06, as this is the 800MHz FSB version) I overclocked to 3.21GHz, temp stable at 35C, then I went up to 3.53GHz, resulting in a BSOD when the PC was idle when I went out for a cigarette! :rolleyes:

I upped it to 3.7GHz, but the PC wouldn't boot, even when the temp wasn't that bad at around 40C. Moments later after resetting the CMOS, I overclocked to 3.3GHz with CPU:DRAM at 5:4 and its been fine since. I may have to fiddle with the other options such as the memory if I want to keep a stable 3.5 or 3.7GHz.

I'm all new to this overclocking though!  :)

From what i have seen the new 865/875 chipset is not that great for over clocking.

A friend of mine upgraded from a MSI 845Ge mobo to and MSI 865PE neo2 and droped a signifigant amount of overclocking capability.

But im sure you would make it up in overall performance with the addition of DOT and Dural chan mem.

|Drew|

Since yesterday its been stable on 3.4GHz (just as XPerties predicted :)), it won't go any higher than that, but I'm happy with it since I never intended to overclock in the first place when I built the PC. :rolleyes:

Since yesterday its been stable on 3.4GHz (just as XPerties predicted :)), it won't go any higher than that, but I'm happy with it since I never intended to overclock in the first place when I built the PC. :rolleyes:

Did you run a benchmark on it at both settings?

Here are my 3Dmark03 scores. It's the fastest I could get it going.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=768655

CPU at 3.21GHz: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1277007

I noticed your mem clock is at 375MHz, did you overclocked to that speed? As the mem clock came as default 338Mhz on my hercules radeon card.

Some guy who did a review on all four different radeons said the Hercules is capable of running the mem clock at 730MHz, but the Hercules 3D Tweaker doesn't go that high, he's probably misunderstood. Here's the quote:

Hercules provides their own tweaking utility called the 3D Tweaker and allow you to test for stability before you apply the desired core and memory frequency. Using the Hercules 3DProphet Radeon 9800 Pro stock copper cooler, i am able to push the core clock from 380Mhz to 460Mhz and memory clock from 680Mhz to 730Mhz! This is simply amazing as the original ATi Radeon 9800 Pro card with the stock aluminum can only fare 420/720Mhz. Indeed the copper GPU cooler together with the back copper sink is able to cool the GPU more efficiently and the copper RAM sinks are able to overclock memory a little more. At 460/730Mhz, i have successfully ran 3DMark2003 benchmark without any visual artifacts and obtain a high score of 6154 3dmarks on stock cooling.

Edit: Here's the new project info for the 3.4GHz - http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1277201

Yup, I overclocked the memory and the core on the 9800 pro. It was the fastest I could get it go without losing stability on the video.

All of this was done with stock cooling and artic silver. I, like you, dream of going to the land of H2O cooling someday. I think it would be nice to get 3.5 or 3.8 out of it stable.

If you do some H2O stuff please post it. :)

If you do some H2O stuff please post it.  :)

Within a week Im adding mine. Just ordered a danger den pro kit. I have a 2.4 oced to 2.75 with air. Gona try to reach beyound you guys! :D

Right on! I look forward to reading about it. Take some photos please. :rolleyes:

You can count on that. This is the case Im adding it to:

My Gallery

I gotta ask ya, with all those fans in there it has to run cool. But, how loud is it?

I've got two 80s in the front cooling HDD, one 80 in the back pulling out hot air, and one 80 on the top also pulling out hot air. The thing is all of these make less noise then the factory P4 Intel fan.