Integrating SATA and RAID drivers with HFSLIP

Oleg_II

Sgt_Strider :hello:

I've got your message today... Well, if the info from the liks I provided didn't help you I really don't know where is the bug :(

I'm a bit busy these days and I can only check some more info in a few day.

I have an idea: there is pretty good mass storage driver collection in Symantec LiveCd (Ghost, LiveState Recovery and so on). And some time they include TXTSETUP.OEM renamed to INF file - they say some drivers need this. If you have Ghost v9-10 you can check it youself.

Talk to you later...

Sgt_Strider :hello:

I've got your message today... Well, if the info from the liks I provided didn't help you I really don't know where is the bug :(

I'm a bit busy these days and I can only check some more info in a few day.

I have an idea: there is pretty good mass storage driver collection in Symantec LiveCd (Ghost, LiveState Recovery and so on). And some time they include TXTSETUP.OEM renamed to INF file - they say some drivers need this. If you have Ghost v9-10 you can check it youself.

Talk to you later...

Unfortunatley, I don't have Norton Ghost v.9 or 10.

• 2 weeks later...
A proprosal

This was a while back. I know this is really suicide for me right now (I'm rusty on my cpp) but I'm gonna try to write up a simple file parser to do exactly that. Well, it can, at certain points, perform specific commands we need it to do, at least... I hope... :whistle: Wish me luck all, as I want to contribute and do well at this. If done correctly it would be easy enough to have subfolders so we can just include the drivers, and not even CARE what they are named, probably just cab them up as Userdrv<x>.whatever where <x> is an increasingly incremental number, then use the right "names" in the txtsetup and... whatever... that other file is... wow I can't thihk right now, it's only 2 in the afternoon and I'm getting ready for another mind-numbing day at work.

A proprosal

This was a while back. I know this is really suicide for me right now (I'm rusty on my cpp) but I'm gonna try to write up a simple file parser to do exactly that. Well, it can, at certain points, perform specific commands we need it to do, at least... I hope... :whistle: Wish me luck all, as I want to contribute and do well at this. If done correctly it would be easy enough to have subfolders so we can just include the drivers, and not even CARE what they are named, probably just cab them up as Userdrv<x>.whatever where <x> is an increasingly incremental number, then use the right "names" in the txtsetup and... whatever... that other file is... wow I can't thihk right now, it's only 2 in the afternoon and I'm getting ready for another mind-numbing day at work.

Best of luck there - :whistle: I gave up on that idea after seeing a number of non-standard and unusual but nonetheless valid drivers that almost put me into a mental institution. :realmad:

Edited by iTwins

Blah

Best of luck there - :whistle: I gave up on that idea after seeing a number of non-standard and unusual but nonetheless valid drivers that almost put me into a mental institution. :realmad:

Yeah, which is why I'm trying to recall the basic format of reading the inf file and determining from it what files are needed... or would the txtsetup.oem file be more appropriate for parsing? Or both?

I mean, I literally forget, since the last time I integrated drivers, what was needed .. in fact I was an id*** and to save space deleted the folder that had my integrated driver source, shortly before screaming my head off and going "No!!!" hehe

Meanwhile, is it merely sufficient to put all the files from the driver folder from the disk into STORAGE? What if multiple files share the same name? Are subfolders okay? Also, just sys files or all the files? (i have one with like 10 files in it, 5 of them sys files)

Thank you!

Here is an update on my progress. I am now convinced that this method of integrating SATA drivers doesn't work at all. I just Nlite the drivers yesterday and Windows XP Professional SP2 manage to install on my laptop. I think Oleg II is close in coming up with a solution. Ideally I would love if HFSLIP can address this problem since I don't want to use multiple programs to do this job.

Blah

Yeah, which is why I'm trying to recall the basic format of reading the inf file and determining from it what files are needed... or would the txtsetup.oem file be more appropriate for parsing? Or both?

I mean, I literally forget, since the last time I integrated drivers, what was needed .. in fact I was an id*** and to save space deleted the folder that had my integrated driver source, shortly before screaming my head off and going "No!!!" hehe

The TXTSETUP.OEM is best and much much easier than OEMSETUP.INF but even so, I have seen weird ones that do not conform to standards. But it is worth the challenge...for you that is. :hello: I am too old for this sh_t!

Sgt_Strider

Well, this method works on some drivers and it needs regular updates... maybe even some files should be included in a separate package.

But I don't have time and not very interested in this right now (I don't have SATA/RAID controllers and I'm not working in IT business). The idea is based on working solution and it's good. But somebody needs to develope it ;)

To be honest I just looked at a few of the drivers, and I agree with iTwins that too many of them don't conform to the standards, I see inf files that SHOULDN"T install, but do so just fine, some that rely on their own installer applications triggered by the installation and have no way to integrate them normally... At this point I'm thinking just use Bashrat's MassStorage driverpack (after hfslip completes) and then it should go through just fine. That'll cover you on, it looks like, 85+ different MS Drivers, which covers a wider number of actual devices, well over 100, so I think that's probably sufficient. Plus his method looks to be VERY easy, and does all the runonce stuff added in to get the extras on after t-13. It seems to do textmode integration as well as in-system integration (for me, not having to install any of my drivers after system setup sounds splendid).

I'm going to look more into it but to be honest, if you know your driver works use this method, if not it seems that making use of BTS' Driver Packs would make life easier. I'm going to try it out on my next build.

To be honest I just looked at a few of the drivers, and I agree with iTwins that too many of them don't conform to the standards, I see inf files that SHOULDN"T install, but do so just fine, some that rely on their own installer applications triggered by the installation and have no way to integrate them normally... At this point I'm thinking just use Bashrat's MassStorage driverpack (after hfslip completes) and then it should go through just fine. That'll cover you on, it looks like, 85+ different MS Drivers, which covers a wider number of actual devices, well over 100, so I think that's probably sufficient. Plus his method looks to be VERY easy, and does all the runonce stuff added in to get the extras on after t-13. It seems to do textmode integration as well as in-system integration (for me, not having to install any of my drivers after system setup sounds splendid).

I'm going to look more into it but to be honest, if you know your driver works use this method, if not it seems that making use of BTS' Driver Packs would make life easier. I'm going to try it out on my next build.

Did Bashrat finish his masstorage driverpack yet? I don't need all of his drivers that's usually present in his pack though. I just want a easy way to install the SATA drivers w/o bloating my ISO file. Also, are you trying to say that HFSLIP is planning to add Driverpack support? I'm not sure if I understand there.

Did Bashrat finish his masstorage driverpack yet? I don't need all of his drivers that's usually present in his pack though. I just want a easy way to install the SATA drivers w/o bloating my ISO file. Also, are you trying to say that HFSLIP is planning to add Driverpack support? I'm not sure if I understand there.

It appears, on his site, that said MS Driver Pack is at least usable as he is distributing it.

As far as what I meant: Once you have used hfslip to finish making your source ready-to-go, backup the sourcess folder (in case of f***ups I presume, so you don't have to wait for all that work) then run the bashrat driverpack on that folder. Make sure to do textmode integration on it as well as normal... it seems to be self-explanatory but his forum would be best to ask questions on.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this will help you or not, but I had a similar issue with the SATA drivers for Lenovo R60s and z61ps. I modified the txtsetup.oem and that allowed me on my RIS server to pull the flat image down on a laptop. Once I pushed the laptop image back up, and pulled it back down it would blue screen after joining the domain. I found a tid on HPs web site where someone added iastor.sys to the drvindex.inf in the i386 directory of my flat image. My laptops now boot correctly. I am in AHCI mode as well, no compatibility mode needed anymore.

• 5 months later...

I have a Sapphire Pure Element M/B with SB600 southbridge. My driver is (quoting txtsetup.oem)

[sCSI]

Napa_i386_ahci8086 = "ATI AHCI Compatible RAID Controller-x86 platform", ahcix86

Napa_amd64_ahci = "ATI AHCI Compatible RAID Controller-x64 platform", ahcix64

and is not present in the storage.ini database.

- Could you help me to add it, or to create a smaller database with these two drivers?

- I'm going to install windows 2000 with an amd64 X2 system. Should I use the Napa_amd64_ahci driver, or is it just for 64bit windows versions?

Drivers with txtsetup.oem attached.

thanks!

SRAID64a.zip

Edited by pallemn