Integrating SATA and RAID drivers with HFSLIP

Oleg_II

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

on my most recent installation I tried for the first time this feature of integrating SATA drivers (in the STORAGE subdirectory of HFEXPERT). I used the Intel Storage Matrix driver (iastor.sys). Worked almost perfectly on the first try, even with a self-created and customized storage.ini. The text-based installation phase went fine, the drive was recognized and installation started.

But during the GUI-based phase a window popped up asking me for the location of the iastor.sys file. Directing it to the i386 directory of my installation CD solved this and installation went on. This is not a big flaw, but it prevented real unattended driver recognition.

IMHO possible solutions are:

1. I should have followed the directions in the thread http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=63302 (integrating drivers), especially step 3, for the STORAGE directory and its contents also, not only for DRIVERCAB. Would this indeed help during the GUI-mode phase, without the line to be added to iastor.inf destroying the successful driver inclusion for the textmode installation phase?

or

2. Should I duplicate the driver files contained in STORAGE and put a copy of them in DRIVERCAB, without the unnecessary storage.ini and a modified iastor.inf of course?

Which of these methods is the one to use? Sorry, I had no time to test them, and I need a working notebook now, so no further installations for the next few weeks.

Anyway, I think the correct solution should be mentioned at the start of this thread, could one please add a note to the first post with the instructions? Thanks!

Regards,

Tomalaks

I'm sure solution (1) would be better alternative. You would probably be interested in using daddydave's DrivercabHelper, located in his signature, that automates step (3) of the driver integration method posted by Oleg II.

Edit: Never mind, I see you've already tried it but encountered a few problems. I have just tried driver integration for the first time today and will report my findings as well.

Edited by Super-Magician

Ok, I decided to test this method out by following the instructions on the first page. Everything went well until Windows finished installing. For some odd reasons, Windows can't boot to the desktop. It just crashes everytime it attempts to boot up Windows. I can't get to the desktop even via safemode.

I feel like I'm extremely close to getting this done and I hope someone here knows!

Edited by Sgt_Strider

Sorry friends :blushing: I just had an idea but I can't support it because it needs more knowledge and time that I have :rolleyes:

I leant recently that there are at least two different versions of iastor.sys - one of them supports older versions of controller. The issue can be solved by renaming one file and its refferences but it would be better to make a driver pack with files included then.

In fact it is not my method. It's the same as described in Unattended Drivers in a few threads and can be found in Internet also. I just want it a bit automated :rolleyes: and I sincerelly belive it can be done with HFSLIP :thumbup

Sorry friends :blushing: I just had an idea but I can't support it because it needs more knowledge and time that I have :rolleyes:

I leant recently that there are at least two different versions of iastor.sys - one of them supports older versions of controller. The issue can be solved by renaming one file and its refferences but it would be better to make a driver pack with files included then.

In fact it is not my method. It's the same as described in Unattended Drivers in a few threads and can be found in Internet also. I just want it a bit automated :rolleyes: and I sincerelly belive it can be done with HFSLIP :thumbup

Are you telling me that I have a different version of iastor.sys? If so, do you have newer version? My motherboard is base on the i945 chipset.

Sgt_Strider

No, it was just an example that I don't know a lot of things that could happen :rolleyes:

Have you tried integrating drivers manually without HFSLIP as it's described for example here or here? If it works then it should work with HFSLIP too.

Edited by Oleg_II

Sgt_Strider

Have you tried the methods described by two links I gave above?

You still can try official way using OEM file that should come with the driver.

I also heard about using BIOS settings where you can change the type of hard disk controller (don't remember - something like change to IDE controller insted of RAID). I heard it works on all modern computers.

Or you can try installing from 32-bit enviroment LiveCD (WinPE, BartPE, WinBuilder).

And yes, of course, you can use floppy ;) Even if it is a USB floppy (there is a topic about using USB floppy for this in Drivers Forum).

You guys are great! A big thumbs up to all that are working on this project!

I am having a problem and I am confident that it is a Level 8 error (user) but permit me to ask for some assistance, oh masters of code-fu.

I am using an ASUS A7V133 motherboard with Promise FastTrack 100 RAID0 as my boot drive. I have the drivers on a floppy disk and when I install from the original XP OEM CD and do the F6, etc. I am able to see the drive in the list of locations to install the OS. However when I use the CD I have compiled with HFSLIP and the storage.ini in the storage folder along with the fasttrack.inf, fasttrack.sys, and fasttrack.cat files it is unable to see the RAID drive (although the IDE drives are seen). There is an "unknown" drive listed that cannot be selected and says something about there being no disk inserted.

When I select to use the files off the floppy, I get the same problem, but it does tell me that the install CD already has the driver in it's database so part of this is working. Whether I select to use the files off the floppy or the windows drivers from the HFSLIP CD, I get the same problem mentioned above that the drive is not visible.

So a few questions:

What am I doing wrong?

Am I supposed to have the TXTSETUP.OEM in the storage folder too?

The files I am putting in the storage folder are from the \WinXP folder on the floppy. Should I instead be leaving the whole directory structure intact?

I am attaching my TXTSETUP.OEM file for your reference as requested. Note: I had to rename the file as it was not an allowed file type to upload.

TXTSETUPOEM.TXT

Edited by rsdrans

That was a double post. Sorry...

rsdrans

Try using this STORAGE.INI with your driver files (copy, past to Notepad and save as STORAG.INI):

;Promise FastTrak

[HardwareIdsDatabase]PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_80421043 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B0011458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B0021458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B0031458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B0041458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B0051458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B0061458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B0071458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B0081458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B0091458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B00A1458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B00B1458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B00C1458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B00D1458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B00E1458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_B00F1458 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_0065A0A0 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_30011695 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_321D1462 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_330D1462 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_337D1462 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_366D1462 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_369D1462 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_380D1462 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_394D1462 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_90011509 = "Fasttrak",

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_070110FD = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_086616F3 = "Fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_4D33105A ="Fasttrak"

[scsi]

FastTrak = "WinXP Promise FastTrak100 Lite Controller"

Please post if it worked or not.

Edited by Oleg_II

Sgt_Strider

Have you tried the methods described by two links I gave above?

You still can try official way using OEM file that should come with the driver.

I also heard about using BIOS settings where you can change the type of hard disk controller (don't remember - something like change to IDE controller insted of RAID). I heard it works on all modern computers.

Or you can try installing from 32-bit enviroment LiveCD (WinPE, BartPE, WinBuilder).

And yes, of course, you can use floppy ;) Even if it is a USB floppy (there is a topic about using USB floppy for this in Drivers Forum).

Yes, I have tried to install with one of the two methods that you have listed and it doesn't work. I'm getting very frustrated. I tried looking at the BIOS for some compatibility mode, but I couldn't find it.

I think I know why it may not work. I checked the readme file from the Gateway driver and apparently this is the SATA chip on my motherboard, - Intel® 82801GH I/O controller Hub (ICH7DH). I don't see that entry in your storage.ini file. Does your file support my motherboard, i915 chipset? If not, can you modify it so that it'll work? I can test it.

Here is the link to the driver: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=149386340

Edited by Sgt_Strider

Here are the contents of my txtsetup.oem file in case you need it to modify the storage.ini file for me:

; ****************************************************************************

; ** Filename: TxtSetup.OEM

[Disks]

disk1 = "Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver", iaStor.sys, \

[Defaults]

scsi = iaStor_ICH8R

;----------- Component Section -----------

[scsi]

iaStor_ICH8R = "Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH8R)"

iaAHCI_ICH8R = "Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R)"

iaStor_ESB2 = "Intel® 631xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller (Server/Workstation ESB2)"

iaAHCI_ESB2 = "Intel® 631xESB/632xESB SATA AHCI Controller (Server/Workstation ESB2)"

iaStor_ICH7MDH = "Intel® 82801GHM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH7MDH)"

iaStor_ICH7DH = "Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)"

iaAHCI_ICH7R = "Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)"

iaAHCI_ICH7M = "Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M/DH)"

iaStor_ICH6R = "Intel® 82801FR SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH6R)"

iaAHCI_ICH6R = "Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R)"

iaAHCI_ICH6M = "Intel® 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH6M)"

;-------------------------------------------

[Files.scsi.iaStor_ICH8R]

driver = disk1, iaStor.sys, iaStor

inf = disk1, iaStor.inf

catalog = disk1, iaStor.cat