Windows 98se Unattended

naikosen

All what I did is:

I copied the '@msbatch.inf' to the Win98 folder then tried to install Windows 98se in Virual Machine (VMware Workstation) using the command line in the autoexec.bat:

path=a:\;%CDROM%\

%CDROM%

cd \WIN98

setup.exe @msbatch.inf

It started copying all neccessary files to the disk. Hereafter, it restarted the computer automatically.

Now it displays the following on Dump screen:

" Cannot read or write to Partition C: press any key to continue"

When I press any key I have this message:

" Cannot load or read KRNL386.exe"

One more question:

How to bypass the scandisk process during installation?

Run setup /? and you'll find the answer to your last question.

I know virtualisation programs cause a *lot* of disk activity, especially during an installation, so maybe your hard drive is starting to fail from it...

who uses windows 98 anymore.. you realize we are in 2006 right?

Remarks like this is very discouraging when someone is asking for help. A lot of people use 9x OS and there is nothing wrong with it. I repair a lot of computers and recomend the ones that come to me with 9x to go to an nt based OS. But some like the simplisity of 9x. I like it also, but I use nt based OS because I have a big HD and sometimes have to open very large rar files.

VMware Workstation causes this problem.

Download a copy of Virtual PC 2004 (it's free now) for testing 9x installations from a multi-boot disc (or any disc except your original). :D

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion. Nice people like you makes the forum alive.

Thanks to all responding bodies especially to 'dirtwarrior' for protecting interests of all learners.

VMware Workstation causes this problem.

Download a copy of Virtual PC 2004 (it's free now) for testing 9x installations from a multi-boot disc (or any disc except your original). :D

...Virtual PC 2004 doesn't run under 9x to my knowledge... you'll have to have XP anyway...

As for VMware, I think the older versions did support Win98SE.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all i am using xp and 2003 server but i like 98sec bc i like msdos based old games so they run on 98 best. I have a question that how can i create unattanded(msbatch.inf) 98sec. I want's to know tool which create this file as for xp a tool is nlite.

First of all i am using xp and 2003 server but i like 98sec bc i like msdos based old games so they run on 98 best. I have a question that how can i create unattanded(msbatch.inf) 98sec. I want's to know tool which create this file as for xp a tool is nlite.

Batch 98 on your install CD I guess.

I have a good reason. I modify bioses, and many of the programs used to do so only work on 98/98SE. And I mean Pure, with no updates, otherwise these programs, like Modbin, will not save the modded files. So yes, it is still a useful OS.

• 2 weeks later...

idiott get lost from here. :realmad:

If you dislike then ask microsoft don't use msdos startup files to start 2000, 2003 XP , Vista text based setup :thumbup and also ask to motheboard menufacturer to recover bios don't use msdos to recover it. :thumbup

If you can't do it then get lost with dull mind from this form. :realmad:

Msdos and windows 98 need of every one and perhaps remain as floppy is need of every one. :whistle:

Edited by rehbar