Internet connects, network can't.

SovereignScorn

I am having an odd problem with a Toshiba laptop. Ethernet or wireless, I can get an IP adress, ping the router, and even go online, but the machine WILL NOT acess the others on the network. It assigns a standard IP adress (192.168.4.115), but when I try to access another computer on the network (\\192.168.4.101), can't connect. When I try to ping the other computer from the laptop, 100% loss, same if I ping the laptop from the desktop.

firewall, ports,

Client for MS networks,

File and Printer Sharing...

Firewall off, services installed, thats why I came here.

Can you access other computers from one of the other computers on the network?

Like I said, goes to the internet, can access the router firmware, but the computers on the network cannot ping the laptop, and the laptop cannot ping any other computer on the network. Also, when I go to change the computer name, the workgroup box is gray. I have also tried running a winsock fix, installed the latest drivers for both network cards, all settings at default.

Edited by SovereignScorn

I don't know how familiar you are with reading network traces, but installing the XP support tools (from the CD's \support directory) and running netcap on each machine while trying to access one machine from another would be of great help. Obviously there's something on your network blocking or intercepting these packets - a network trace would at least tell you a few things, mainly if the packets are actually getting from machine A to machine B, and if so, what machine B is sending back to machine A (and whether or not machine A sees THOSE packets). Somewhere along the way you'll see packets out from one machine and not returned to the other, which should at least help you determine which machine or hardware device is possibly at fault.

If you are ABSOLUTELY sure there are no firewalls enabled on each machine and the Client for Microsoft Networks is installed on each machine, start the telnet service on each machine and see if you can telnet back and forth.

Can you access other computers from one of the other computers on the network?

Like I said, goes to the internet, can access the router firmware, but the computers on the network cannot ping the laptop, and the laptop cannot ping any other computer on the network. Also, when I go to change the computer name, the workgroup box is gray. I have also tried running a winsock fix, installed the latest drivers for both network cards, all settings at default.

You didn't answer my question. Can the OTHER computers ping or access each other, excluding the laptop?

the toshiba labtop has windows firewall off, it will conect to web and ping wired computer on the lan and a printer on the land. The other computers 2 will move files onto or off the laptop. The laptop will not conect to the nework (lan) workgroup HOME either wireless or wired. the workgroup name can not be change manualy or with the wizard.

Thanks