Any way at all to get back USB Audio?

robo989

Hi, really really desperately need a way to get usb audio back in windows xp after i used nLite to removed it from the install...

Is there any way at all it can be done, without re installing windows, I don't mind how compliacted, has anyone managed to do it before.....

Thanks, Rob

You don't mind how complicated it could be if there is a 27-step solution, but you're not willing to redo the ISO and install it over again? :huh:

It would be less complicated to do the latter. Anyway, if anyone would know, it would be Nuhi.

Edited by Jeremy

Hi there thanks for replying

I can be bothered, thats the point :)

The reason I don't want to reinstall, is because I've got over 400GB of games\programs installed on my pc.

It would take a good 20-25 hours just to reinstall everything.

Would really appreciate this 27 step guide, if it exists....

thanks in advance, Rob

• 2 weeks later...
Try popping in your Windows XP cd and doing a repair install. This is a prime example of why not to use nLite. ;)

The author of nLite stresses that one should only use the tool if they are sure of what they are doing. users beware! Double check! Read descriptions! Try in VMware first! Make an image of your harddrive, reformat, install, test, if it fails, restore with image file.

Thnka mate, is this likely to cause any annoying problems\lose lots of settings etc.

ta

No, doing a repair install simply will fix your Windows to how it should be. If there were any issues to your registry, it may repair those. I would do a full install of Windows, using a Windows cd. None of that nLite crap so you retain all your services and proper settings. Then make yourself a nice unattended Windows Install cd so you can pop it in and everything is automated. Next, do the same with your applications and such. There are many excellent programs here on the forums to help you make unattended application install cds. :)

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not a noob to nlite in the slightest ;)

Been using it since a good year or two loads of times to make installation cds, unattended etc....and so fourth.

I just made this one balls up with the USB audio, everything else is how I like it :)

I will try the reinstall windows over the top, I got my hard drive backed up so shouldn't be a problem, although I'm doubtful that will work.....

who knows ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi there - I'm the new guy - hope to be welcome :unsure:

SEE - I DID a search and I found the topic but it did not give me the answer. And it's old, all right, can't do justice to everyone.

Anyway: I now have a webcam with USB mic, never thought I would have, and my all setup an well running system can not simply be reinstalled...

Has someone gotten any further information on getting back USB audio support?

Your help is much appreciated.

Kind regards

freak 393

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I did this ages ago cos I had gotten too agressive and suddenly found my USB microphones didnt work and neither did my webcam mic.

Take a full install of XP and copy the following files. put them all into one folder called "USB_audio_driver" which you will stash away!

drmk.sys

hid.dll

hidclass.sys

hidparse.sys

hidserv.dll

hidserv.inf

hidserv.PNF

hidusb.sys

input.inf

input.PNF

ks.inf

ks.PNF

ks.sys

ksproxy.ax

ksuser.dll

portcls.sys

stream.sys

USBAUDIO.sys

wdmaud.drv

wdmaudio.inf

wdmaudio.PNF

wdma_usb.inf

wdma_usb.PNF

Also inside this folder, make a sub folder called i386 and put USBAUDIO.sys into that.

Now plug in your USB audio device. When asked for a driver, point to this main folder and it will load up the XP SP2 USB audio driver files. Any SUBSEQUENT USB audio device wont need to bother you cos the files have now been 'installed' into your system now.

I keep this folder on my server cos I have had no other reason to ever change my very old XPlite set up and cant be bothered redoing the CD until SP3 comes along.

Hope this helps.