Need help really bad ..

Bluerain

Need help really bad ..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I have Raid 0 on 2 hard drives 120 gigs each (240)..I'm running XP home on a 1.2 AMD Atlon 512 mb ramwith a Via chipset.

My drives are assigned Primary and secondary and have their own cable connected directly to the controller.

My cd-rom and DVD player are directly connected to my motherboard on seperate cables.

I can't boot up and can't get into safe mode. When I try safe mode it does it system check and stops on O/O which is O/O defrag program that I had installed for 2 years with no problem.I can't even get into recovery with the XP disk as it keeps freezing on this program O/O defrag.

I remember setting up O/0 defrag to check files upon booting and it took only a few seconds to do it then it would boot.It seems now there's something wrong with O/O defrag program preventing me from booting.

I wanted to go into safemode to removed O/O defrag but when I hit enter for safemode it does it thing and when it reaches O/O defrag program it just freezes.

How can I get in to remove this program to see if I can continue booting?

I have tons of shiat on these drives and cannot lose this data for anything.

I had 2 old drives (40 gigs each) and installed windows XP on them (Raid O also)and now up and running and posting here.

I then hooked up the 2 drives in question ..one on each cable where the other drives are. I put the old C drive on the same cable as the the new C drive and put the old D drive on the same cable as the new D drive.

But this is not working as the old drives don't seem to exist anywhere.When booting it only shows new drives and when I look into my computer they aren't there also.

I was hoping I could access my data this way and then transfer all my data to a external drive when I buy one this Tuesday.

Is there anyway to get access to this data? I don't care about raid 0 anymore as when I get my data back I'm getting rid of Raid and will keep all my data on external drives in future and just run it normally.

Thanks for your time..

Blue

System: Running XP Home

AMD 1.2 266 FSB

GA-7DX

AMD Athlon (k7) Chipset AMD 650 With VIA 686B

512 ram

GTS 2 ultra DDR 64

2 HD 120 Gigs each-RAID 0 Promise fastrack 100 controller card.

Sony DRU510A

Lite-on Dvd Rom

Audigy 2

I was told to do this on another firum (Below) and I did ..Please read..

Blue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue

If OO has been working perfectly, I think you should investigate WHY this has happened before you fix it. I might make a rudimentary assumption that a hard drive in your array could be failing. You should run a manufacturer's diagnostic on your drives before you do any work (individually would be ideal) so we don't muck things up more. Check out the storage forum for a list of diagnostic utilities.

As for OO, well, I know OO Defrag's boot time loader invokes itself during the same time drivers are loaded in XP. So this is about the time your problem occurs. OO also creates a system service. My assumption is this system service is responsible for inovoking OO's offline defrag during boot time.

It's possible to disable system services using Windows XP's recovery console. This is a command line interface that can be accessed by booting from your XP install CD - regardless of your Windows install health. More info on how to get into the console can be found on this forum.

Once in recovery console, you can use the command listsvc to show you a list of services that can be disabled. Then you can use the disable name_of_service command to disable that service. The service you want to disable is O&O's defrag service (oodag.exe). If you have questions about using any of these commands, typing help disable should reveal additional information.

Once disabled, your XP should boot normally after a restart. If it doesn't, then you may need more specialized help... Maybe from OO's forums? They'll probably know about the software than (most) people do here.

Well I did everything and still not working.

By the way it's listed as OOdefrag

I went to disable it and it was alreay disable. Strange cause it keeps coming up on boot.

So i enabled it and the same old thing. So I tried to disable it again to see what would happen and the same thing keeps happening.

When it boots if I press the space bar to skip defrga files it freezes and reboots.

If I let it defrag ( Which only takes a few seconds by the way ) it says 5 of 5 already defragged then it says Pagefile.sys missing and 0 our of 5 analized.

I wanted to delet O/O but it won't let me.It says something about systemroot only to delete.

Maybe if I delete it all together it will work cause that is the problem.

How can I delete O/O defrag using recovery ?

Thanks so much : )

Blue

I don't need O/O defrag .

From what you say, it seems to me that it is not O&O the problem, but rather O&O finding hard disk filesystem problems that make this happen.

If it is so, the cure is to solve the filesystem problem, NOT fiddling with O&O.

If you can use the Recovery Console, I would try running CHKDSK from it.

If you do not specify the /F switch, it will only analyze disks for errors, maybe from the report one can judge if it is the case to re-run it with the /F switch.

Reference:

http://www.ss64.com/nt/chkdsk.html

If that does not work, what I would do is build a BartPE with drivers for your Raid card (or you are using software RAID?) and some testing utilities, connect another hard disk (non Raid) to the connector where the DVD now is and salvage as many files as possible before attempting repair.

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz

First off thanks for the wonderful reply..

I will run chkdsk again. I just did chkdsk with /p which checked the whole drives and all it mention was 1 or 2 errors or something.

I will try it with /f switch and see what happens.I'll report back this afternoon.

Thanks again so much :)

Blue

From what you say, it seems to me that it is not O&O the problem, but rather O&O finding hard disk filesystem problems that make this happen.

If it is so, the cure is to solve the filesystem problem, NOT fiddling with O&O.

If you can use the Recovery Console, I would try running CHKDSK from it.

If you do not specify the /F switch, it will only analyze disks for errors, maybe from the report one can judge if it is the case to re-run it with the /F switch.

Reference:

http://www.ss64.com/nt/chkdsk.html

If that does not work, what I would do is build a BartPE with drivers for your Raid card (or you are using software RAID?) and some testing utilities, connect another hard disk (non Raid) to the connector where the DVD now is and salvage as many files as possible before attempting repair.

jaclaz

Hi again

No it didn't work..Took over 4 hours I'm so p***ed.

The F switch didn't work and I had to use R switch (repair)

I tried to Repair installation of XP without messing with drive data.

I inserted XP disk in drive E and selected R For repair of OS (Not recovery I tried that) and it kept asking me for the path of XP cd . I'm not sure I'm typing it correctly because it says no such path.

I selected the E drive by typing in E:/ and nothing .

What exactly should I type?

Thanks so much : )

Blue

Whatever happened in the first place, you changed the RAID setup and that's why you no longer can see what's in the original HDs.

To stand any chance of success you have to restore the original RAID config. Even then I'm not sure if it'll work since you've disrupted the RAID.

Leaving the drive letter issue aside, doing a repair isn't going to work, because I doubt if Setup can see the old HDs - if it does it'll list it and ask you which Windows you want to repair.

It's never a good idea to have RAID 0 with no fault tolerance and not having a regular backup.

If you have the RAID drivers on floppy (and you have a floppy drive) you can try putting it in during the press F6 message.

Edited by Takeshi

My God!!

It sees the drives when booting and function correctly.

Iy goes thru everything xp loads but then that pos o/o defrag is curupt !!

I want the shiat out..just tell me how to deletye the freaking thing using command.

Evenb when i disable that pos it still comes out. The O/O is the last thing upon my desktop showing but i can't get passed it. Fck it I don't want it any more ..how do i delete it ?

Please just tell me how to get o/o off the drive..nothing else .

Thanks

Blue

No oooo

It sees everything and goes thru the steps..it copies files and does everything but when it ask for path of the XP cd again (Why i don't know because it just used the thing to go thru the steps) after rebooting to the clean install of XP OE only (repair) I'm not typing it in correctly in the string to tell it wjere to get the files from which is the CD in my E drive.

Listen...nothing wrong with bootfix and all that other stuff..i did it a thousand times ..you hear me..I posted this already.

Being i can't get a answer on how to delete the program i figure i do a repair of OS but i can't not because of my hard drives..they are fine and working.... it's the program i need to delete or just answer the other queston.

If you are trying to do a repair install and your Windows installation is not detected, I suggest going into the recovery console and trying to do a bootcfg or fixboot. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/

Listen to me.. i inserted the drivers on f6 too many time now from the very start.. Listen the raid is fine why can't anyone just answer the question...why?

all functioning ok ..understand...you are all going all over the palce when all i want is to delete o/o defrag from command promt..

I'm telling each and everyone of u that's the problem..it's curupt !! That's it i want it off ...ho w?

Just tell me how to do that and if that doesn't work i'll go find out how to do a repair of OS hoping it will erase O/O upon booting.

Blue

Whatever happened in the first place, you changed the RAID setup and that's why you no longer can see what's in the original HDs.

To stand any chance of success you have to restore the original RAID config. Even then I'm not sure if it'll work since you've disrupted the RAID.

Leaving the drive letter issue aside, doing a repair isn't going to work, because I doubt if Setup can see the old HDs - if it does it'll list it and ask you which Windows you want to repair.

It's never a good idea to have RAID 0 with no fault tolerance and not having a regular backup.

If you have the RAID drivers on floppy (and you have a floppy drive) you can try putting it in during the press F6 message.

First you said it didn't see the old HDs:

I had 2 old drives (40 gigs each) ...

But this is not working as the old drives don't seem to exist anywhere.When booting it only shows new drives and when I look into my computer they aren't there also.

Then you said it sees the HDs:

It sees the drives when booting and function correctly.

Listen the raid is fine why can't anyone just answer the question...why?

all functioning ok ..understand...you are all going all over the palce when all i want is to delete o/o defrag from command promt..

We are trying to answer your question in good faith but if you're posting self-contradictory statements then please don't vent your frustration at us when what we say don't seem to pinpoint your problem.

I'm sorry but i'm so frustrated here i'm about to lose it.

Yes I see the drives now cause I FORGOT TO PUT IN THE DRIVERS AT F6 when first trouble shooting.

I been to so many forums and all i hear is lost case to just chuck it up but I know it can be fixed if i get that oo defrag off my system.

I know that's the problem.

Thanks and pleaee understand i'm at my wits end here and almost smash this pc to bits.

Thanks

Edited by Bluerain