5.5 wishlist

Hi, everybody. I just got back from Las Vegas the other day, so I will catch up with one big reply message:

• Hot keys are coming.......hopefully. Have a new tool bar in the works.
  • DriveExists() will be put in.
  • I like the idea of importing an entire folder and fill in details automatically.
  • %root% will be put in. Might even expand on it.
  • %sleep% already built in. Will look at others.
  • %reboot% already built in and customizable
  • Navigation pane sorting is also sitting here waiting for me. Will have sort by Install Order, Category, or Name at first.
  • Log file alert will be looked at.
  • Theme editor is being worked on by Almulder. He is still has a lot to do. I check with him and see if I can help him out. I have some ideas on how to ease theme updates and creation. Much like someone mentioned the php include method.

Here is what I still have on my to-do / wish-list:

• Finish the manual
  • New tool bars for Options and Config wizards. May roll over into main window
  • Fonts box like Audio Player
  • Clone config entry
  • If timer=0 don't open WPI window (may not be possible)
  • alert() message box in install process to show a message
  • Self-closing alert() boxes that close after X seconds so don't halt install process
  • New tab to add IP Address, DNS and WINS, computer name, etc.

My list shrinks and grows daily. Keep the ideas coming!

@mritter,

I may be missing the function somewhere or am not defining my wish properly on rebootflag:

Flag only gets set when a certain application has it set (i.e. Daemon Tools or Nero or any app that would require a reboot which is how I see employing %reboot%), however, I don't want the reboot to happen immediately, only after all the selected applications are installed and one of them required the reboot. This immediate reboot negates some of the automated, unattended action as it will require the administrator to wait and log in for every reboot that happens. I've only run into one program that I deploy that requires the immediate reboot. That is why the %reboot% option doesn't seem to satisfy as it will not finish the installs until the reboot occurs.

So what if I have about 6 apps that require a reboot but aren't actually overwriting each other so I could do a final reboot at the end? I use the number 6 because that's how many apps I install on new systems that require a reboot and they all work fine when I reboot at the end.

What if the user doesn't want to select any of the applications that would require a reboot? but my users also install sfx data files from the same unattended disk so it doesn't make sense to force a reboot on them if they did not select one of those apps.

If that application is not selected during a certain users session, then no rebootflag is set and should not require the user to reboot...that is why the restart/shutdown in options at the end of install everytime is not always desirable.

I'd like the rebootflag thrown to fill the gap between the two options you have already incorporated. I know I could easily call a batch at the end or add an app with a reboot with large order number but this is so easy to incorporate and I would love WPI to incorporate all the functions I modify.

Sorry for long delay on my feedback, been out of town for a very long time.

BTW, this version is great, especially incorporating the registry conditions which has always been high on my wishlist, though the try statement I was using was working like a champ...just long, redundant commands.

Special Thanks to you and Kel!

ConfigWizard/Config Page:

Issue:

Currently, doesn't resolve to proper path unless you trim the command yourself, and until you do this, the USSF component nor the actual command doesn't work properly.

1. When browsing for an executable command, either retrive the "baseline" path from where wpi.hta got started and trim the resultant path from the actual path that needs to input into the cmd boxes...

--Or--

2. Add a way that the user can browse to/input the baseline path and then trim that from the application path, then insert the proper %variable% in front.

One way would do it automatically based on where you launched wpi.hta, the other would be user defined/browsed to from the upper level. Based on where the applications/install folder shows, insert the proper variable (whether it's %wpipath%, %cdrom%, %root%, etc.).

I think this variable used to be in pre-WPI 5.0 releases but had little useage before wpi added the browse function for commands.

My wish for 5.5 is to get the "Show extra buttons" checkbox back.

I'm running WPI through a RIS setup, and WPI will allways be launched from harddrive. but i dont want the ekstra buttons.

can i still disable them in Useroptions.js ??

if i select a app which has an condition its selecting the condition thats ok

if i try to remove the condition (uncheck) is unchecking the other which need it! thats ok, too

but if i select the first app whith the condition and then uncheck it the condition is still checked.

dont know if this is possible for you to change this

ConfigWizard Enhancements:

1. Filter capability based on categories, dependencies, exclusions, Default, Forced - currently filtering not on wishlist, only sorting.

2. An easier way to move the categories up and down. I envision a setup similar to the Audio Player, but on a smaller scale or have a seperate form open to put them in order then have that transfer into a textbox seperated by commas.

3. Sort capability on Program or Order - in progress

4. Copy/Clone button - I believe on mritter's list

5. Regb, Rega, and all cmds - ability to trim command based on set base path.

Possibly a dropdown that will expose the added functions like sleep, kill, copy, delete, etc. Add tooltips for useage/help.

6. cond, gcond - same as above but expose FileExists,!FileExists, RegKeyExists, RegKeyValue, maybe even expose the cmds as options (at least for cond as most use this condition to check if app is on media) to select or browse buttons if FileExists/!FileExists just like the cmd browse buttons.

7. Dependencies, Exclusions - Fill ComboBox with Programs as text and UIDs as value and have add/clear button to highlight and add to textbox the selected program then translate that into a UID when writing the config.js seperated by a comma or carriage return if another Deps/Exlc is selected. Would make adding Deps/Excls easier without having to know or lookup the UID, only program name from dropdown.

8. Add Uninstall command in configwizard - previous project I passed along. Would be called from a combobox (Silent, Full Install, Uninstall) in a theme. Have the ability to turn on or off, possibly off by default to give users the current view.

-Silent - equates to normal command useage with the arguments.

-Full Install - would be a parsed silent command without the silent arguments

-Uninstall - would show the installed apps from your disk/apps that satisfy gcond, then would ignore all but the uninstall command when checked and launched.

9. Auto ordering system based on either category, if filtered or if install by category, otherwise A-Z or any other sort order. Would make mass numbering of sort order easier.

Any hope for a nice smooth progress bar in the install dialog? It requires just a timer that slowly increases the percentbar position to reach the current percentage (the update frequency in milliseconds should be calculated from the difference between the current percentbar position and the real position it should have).