Request for basic (but useful) feature

Faruk

the quickest part of the drive is the outer part, because it'll spin at the same speed, but the needle will cover more area (the same reason writing cd's speeds up towards the end)

Correct for HDDs, but I think CDs spin at variable speed (constant linear speed). Otherwise you'd have rpm indications on cd drives. As for writing cd going faster at the end... never noticed.

but it takes longer to actually find that part of the disc (so o/s is always put near the start of the partition)

I'm curious wether anyone could tell I'm wrong in saying that... the "start of the partition" is the outer part of the disk. I've done hundreds of HDD read/write tests and the fastest part obviously is were the boot sector is.

what is the use of 'Windows' folder on partition A and D&S + Program Files on partition B? Those folders need each other, they are useless seperatedly.

I used to think like this... back in Win95/98, 1 partition for programs, 1 for windows. It has to do with the old time when most programs were stand-alone apps. No Windows Registry or dlls needed.

Just have your software (Win, D&S, Program Files) on one and data (Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies) on another. Perhaps a 3rd partition as working dir (just a lot of space to mess around with, editing pictures/sound/video or for games (iso)).

Some people also say it is ideal to use your very first partition for the pagefile (virtual mem). And it should be 2.5x the size of your RAM memory.

But since there is only 1 head, reading the harddisk, I do not think it would be really faster. Since the head would have to move from the OS partition to read the data to the first partition. If OS and pagefile are on 1 partition, the head doesn't have to move that much?

Ofcourse there would be at least 1 benefit: no fragmentation of the pagefile. Since it is always on a clean and empty partition.

I'm curious wether anyone could tell I'm wrong in saying that... the "start of the partition" is the outer part of the disk. I've done hundreds of HDD read/write tests and the fastest part obviously is were the boot sector is.

i've always assumed it was the other way around, but i do not know :)

-Ponch: re: CD speeds: nope, CDs' (and DVDs') rates, at least in my experience, do speed up considerably the closer they get to the outer ring, as verified by an old Nero tweak which constantly shows accurate "real-time" writing rate, plus cd/dvd testing utils... suggesting a more or less constant rpm...

(then again, I always have *uber*-cheap drives, perhaps the "better" drives do have variable rpm's)

>;]

Edited by PsycoUnc