x64 rc1 install issues

croc

Installed 32 bit rc1 just fine. (well, had a cat fight with Nvidia drivers, but read the fine print on nvidias's site... Disabled my AV, and all OK. Funny, didn't seem to be a problem in pre-rc1....)

But X64 rc1 is a different kettle of fish. 1st install just went to a black screen and died. No HD, nothing. So I re-installed. This time I got to a start-up screen, which just hung with the little circle going around, and around... No HD, no nothing. Third install went a bit further, actually got to a final screen, so downloaded the reporting tools, and got a report off. Hope it helps, because that was the last thing that install did. The mouse driver halted (well I think it did) and the keyboard went down with it. The mouse is USB and the kbd is PS2, so not sure how the mouse could affect the keyboard...

Any ideas, anyone? Anyone else had issues with x64 rc1?

x64 beta 2 rocked... What happened?

needless to say, this isn't posted from my x64 bit install... Frustrated, I am!

Edit... After a few more installs / restarts, I can say that the system is just halting. No BSOD, no error, nada dam ting. Mouse quits, kbd is unusable, clock stops. No disk re-writes, and after a re-start no error report to be filed. Nothing in any log that I can find, so don't know what exactly to report now.

Again, with some further info, any ideas?

Edit 2... I have now installed / re-installed over 10 times... Same issues. So finally just went into re-start mode. Same issues, but now after a minute or two sometimes I get a bsod. Sometimes it actually completes! So I have now managed to get a few bsod error reports back to MS.

I also persisted in trying to install the error reporting tools, and after countless attempts got both modules loaded. After several (many) more reboots, I finally got off a short error report. Then it locked up again...

Anyone know where the busted bsod's are kept? (Fizban?)

Edited by croc

I have Vista RC1 installed on a Biostar Tforce 6100 MB, Sempron 2800 64 bit, 1 gig RAM, Nvidia 6200 128MB Video card. Everything is just ducky here. The X64 installed as smoothly as the X32 version and runs as fast or faster than XP on the same system. The only drivers I had any issues with was installing the AC97 Realtech sound driver and the beta driver worked fine from the Realtech web site. It must be something between your hardware and the software that isn't communicating properly.

pcgeek11

I installed 32 RC1 no probs at all, smooth as silk.

64 however, totally different story.

Booted from disk ok, let me choose HDD, went through beginning, 1st reboot, BANG. Nothing. Black screen, rebooted manually started ok, went to black screen again and again.

Couldnt install at all. Ended up giving up and now just use XP and 32 RC1 Vista.

Shame cos i really wanted to try the 64 as am gettig a new CPU this week :(

• 3 weeks later...
I installed 32 RC1 no probs at all, smooth as silk.

64 however, totally different story.

Booted from disk ok, let me choose HDD, went through beginning, 1st reboot, BANG. Nothing. Black screen, rebooted manually started ok, went to black screen again and again.

Couldnt install at all. Ended up giving up and now just use XP and 32 RC1 Vista.

Shame cos i really wanted to try the 64 as am gettig a new CPU this week :(

Did you ever get the x64 version to work? I didn't...

But I did post all my system specs for this issue from my rc1-x32 bit version, complete with the various system hangs, bsods, etc. If enough people do this, maybe we'll get a resolution.

well the first post looks like what i was having when i first tried to instal vista 64, did read on another site that you need to format the drive through xp BEFORE you attempt to instal Vista on that drive.

It also siad it should be instaled on a primary partition.

solved my instalation problems following those instructions.

well the first post looks like what i was having when i first tried to instal vista 64, did read on another site that you need to format the drive through xp BEFORE you attempt to instal Vista on that drive.

It also siad it should be instaled on a primary partition.

solved my instalation problems following those instructions.

One of my install attempts was a fresh install of XP SP2, and an upgrade install was not an option.

I have also just formatted the drive under XP, then installed the drive as the ONLY drive, and installed to that. No go.

I'm open to further suggestions.

I'm open to further suggestions.

You tried with a shovel and a hammer????? :lol:

On a serious note now: I was reading Paul Thurott's opinions on Vista x64, you shoul do that too before trying to install x64...

Edited by nitroshift

Are you remapping your ram? I have found that vista does not like these settings turned on. You may want to take a look in your bios.

Remapping? Explain this. If you mean the memory at the 1 MB boundary, (which was needed for early versions of OS/2 and NT) then no. Otherwise, I have no clue.