AV Comparatives.org

www.av-comparatives.org - Comparatives - On-Demand for August 2006

1. G DATA Security AntiVirusKit (AVK) (99.68%)

2. AVIRA AntiVir PE Premium (99.51%)

3. F-Secure Anti-Virus (99.07%)

4. Kaspersky Anti-Virus (99.06%)

5. (Below 99%)

Of course, the amount of total viruses it can pick up isn't the only factor to base your decision upon when choosing the ideal anti-virus solution for you.

There's also:

- Other security enhancing features that distinguish it from other AV products.

- Is it just aimed towards anti-virus, or is an "all-in-one"? (Which will affect the below factors in turn)

- Memory footprint.

- Number of processes (F-Secure wins that hands down, lmao).

- Free or payware.

- GUI appealing or not.

And despite all that, you still need to think of it in "real world" terms. You need to ask yourself:

What is the likelihood, given my experience and knowledge thus far, that I will run into a virus that ranges within the 0.32 - 0.94% that the above anti-virus solutions do not protect against?

If that does happen, what will I do? Boot to a CD and restore my harddrive? Reformat my OS? try and tackle this unknown virus myself and use tools like FileMon, Unlocker to try and fight it?

Take a while to think about all that. :hello:

Edited by Jeremy

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this.

I think I'm gonna switch to Dr. Web : it flagged AOL Toolbar as a virus. :D

edit: btw, I've noticed NOD32 got really really slow on some files (mp3s, though I was transferring them over a gigabit connection!)

Edited by Camarade_Tux

AV-Comparatives.Org - November 2006 - Retrospective/ProActive Test Is Out!

PDF Report

Teaser - AntiVir and NOD32 have the best scores. What a surprise, eh? :D

Thanks for the link.

I am a bit surprised in a positive way about Avira. In previous tests they did not score very good when it came to false positives. Now the score is good, not the best but decent. For me personally this large number of false positives was still a downside of this software.

And you can have this for free too. FREE! I am becoming a big fan of this german product. And I'm dutch, supposed to hate anything german :)

This is only a ProActive test. The On-Demand test is what has the potential to really influence peoples' decisions and make them realize that freeware like AVG and payware like Symantec really do... well... suck.