Hitting an OC wall with AM2 4200+ X2

hougtimo

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my rig to an athlon 64 x2 4200+ (socket am2). I have tried to OC this, as some people have got in excess of 3GHz of of it, but if i go above 230htt windows BSODs on me or freezes. Is there something im missing here?

Board : Asrock ALIVENF4G-DVI

CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (am2)

Cheers

HougTimo

Right, I've had some success. My processor will clock right up to 3GHz easily, but only when dual core support is turned off in the bios. The bluescreen i was getting was "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" could it be a windows problem? or driver problem?

HougTimo

if your overclocking that much u will most likely need to up the vcore, not sure how easy that is on an Asrock board as they are budget boards and not designed for high overclocks.

You will most likely find there is a voltmod that u can do so that it enables u to up the voltages.

No you are not...

"...could it be HT holding me back? I can't find an option in the bios for altering it?"

You already gave the answer your self, the chipset normally works on 1000MHz (2000) bridge speed, so set to 230MHz it will give you 1150MHz and that could be a problem on a NF4. Set it to 800MHz in the BIOS en try again to OC more. Look for it in the BIOS, it MUST be there.

EDIT: If you get stuck again with the OC then it must be your RAM. ASRock is a budget but not low-end...

Edited by puntoMX

The bluescreen i was getting was "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" could it be a windows problem? or driver problem?

HougTimo

Your processor isn't stable. That's a typical BSOD of the processor requiring more Vcore or at an OC wall.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

The bluescreen i was getting was "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" could it be a windows problem? or driver problem?

HougTimo

Your processor isn't stable. That's a typical BSOD of the processor requiring more Vcore or at an OC wall.

Thats what I'm saying, and I can't increade the Vcore, because the motherboard will only go upto 1.35v, unless someone knows of a voltmod for it?

HougTimo