"Stacking" Application installs

Is it possible to have an application wait until the preceeding application is totally finished?

For example, I'm installing about 11 apps.

The first application is MS Office 2000 STD (yes we are looking to move to 2003)

I use the following command to do a silent install:

"x:\office 2000\setupstd.exe" TRANSFORMS="X:\office 2000\wastd.MST\" /qn

My next application (for hat matter it dosen't matter what is next) is Adobe Acrobat 7.0:

"X:\Acrobat 7 Reader\AutoInstall\Adobe Reader 7.0.msi" TRANSFORMS="X:\Acrobat 7 Reader\AutoInstall\acrobat7.mst" /qb! ALLUSERS=1

(Adobe is a dependant of MS Office install ..... I thought that would make it wait)

And so on........

Both application install fine when ran individually, I suppose I could reboot, but I would like all apps to be installed in "one hit".

Any advice?

I've attached my script if anyone would like to see the full install.

PS this is one great app. Congrats to those who made it and make it work.

config.js

I'm not sure I totally understand your problem. Is Adobe Reader installing before your Office installation completes?

Dependencies are used during application selection. If you configured Adobe as a dependent of MS Office, then Office must be checked in order to check Adobe during the selection screen.

By default, WPI waits for a command to complete before it moves to the next one. So in your case, the Office command should execute and WPI should wait until it is complete before moving to the command.

I'm not sure I totally understand your problem. Is Adobe Reader installing before your Office installation completes?

That is correct. The WPI_log indicates that office is installed successfully but it is not available to the user. It dosen't have any entries in the "Program Files" folder. Would the WPI installer be f"fooled" by the /qn switch for a silent install?

Adobe dosen't install either.

WPI_Log.txt

Edited by mrk

The /qn should not be the problem. I think you just have some typos. Try changing your commands to the following.

Remove the \ at the end of your .mst file in your office command (I don't think you meant to put it there):

"x:\office 2000\setupstd.exe" TRANSFORMS="X:\office 2000\wastd.MST" /qn

AND

Try your adobe install using msiexec:

msiexec /i "X:\Acrobat 7 Reader\AutoInstall\Adobe Reader 7.0.msi" TRANSFORMS="X:\Acrobat 7 Reader\AutoInstall\acrobat7.mst" /qb! ALLUSERS=1

Edited by zorphnog

OK ... my bad. I'm big enough to point out it was my initial install command that was wrong.

It was:

"x:\office 2000\setupstd.exe" TRANSFORMS="X:\office 2000\wastd.MST\" /qn

Note the extra"\" at the end of ...\wastd.mst\

It is now:

"x:\office 2000\setupstd.exe" TRANSFORMS="X:\office 2000\wastd.MST" /wait /qn (also added the wait command)

When I removed that it works as it should.

Thanks for the prompt responses.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I have the same kind of problem: I am trying to install a couple of programs and I need WPI to wait until the previous one finishes completely before going to the next one. I know it is by default waiting, but my installation is made in 2 parts, and WPI considers it done after only the first part finishes.

What can I do?

Thank you,

Liviu