Losing Internet Connection

kadamari

:( i am having problems keeping my connection to the internet. 2 weeks ago, my boyfriend called the router people (netgear) and had it configured to the factory settings. Ever since then i cannot stay connected to anywhere.

He put me on the same port that he was on and i still can not stay connected. This is intermittent. Doesnt matter where I go, I will lose it at some point. There is 4 computers and a play station hooked into this router and I am the only one having a problem

I play several poker sites and if i try to browse or go to my email, i will lose the connection to that site. Sometimes I lose my msn messenger and sometimes my yahoo messenger. If I am reading my email or doing surveys I have to refresh my page or hit submit several times before I can get to the next page. Most pages will just hang until I do this.

This is when i will lose my messenger. Sometimes I cannot even get to some of my poker sites, saying I dont have internet connection, but if I try on the other sites I connect. We called the router people again, and they said it wasnt in the router, that it was in the proxy settings and to get ahold of compaq and they would give us new settings, but compaq said there was no proxy settings.

We have dsl.

Any suggestions????????

:( i am having problems keeping my connection to the internet. 2 weeks ago, my boyfriend called the router people (netgear) and had it configured to the factory settings. Ever since then i cannot stay connected to anywhere.

He put me on the same port that he was on and i still can not stay connected. This is intermittent. Doesnt matter where I go, I will lose it at some point. There is 4 computers and a play station hooked into this router and I am the only one having a problem

I play several poker sites and if i try to browse or go to my email, i will lose the connection to that site. Sometimes I lose my msn messenger and sometimes my yahoo messenger. If I am reading my email or doing surveys I have to refresh my page or hit submit several times before I can get to the next page. Most pages will just hang until I do this.

This is when i will lose my messenger. Sometimes I cannot even get to some of my poker sites, saying I dont have internet connection, but if I try on the other sites I connect. We called the router people again, and they said it wasnt in the router, that it was in the proxy settings and to get ahold of compaq and they would give us new settings, but compaq said there was no proxy settings.

We have dsl.

Any suggestions????????

Wireless connection I assume?

He put me on the same port that he was on and i still can not stay connected. This is intermittent. Doesnt matter where I go, I will lose it at some point. There is [are] 4 computers and a play station hooked into this router and I am the only one having a problem

Logically speaking it doesn't look like the router is to blame.

If you're using wireless, then see what happens with wired.

It could be your computer's NIC card/port/cable/driver etc.

Is this problem related to XP? Shouldn't this be in the Networks, Internet & Security forum?

Edited by Takeshi

No, not wireless. There is a check supposedly to do on this (came from microsoft), and did what it says and comes out that everything is working (i.e. card, driver etc.)

Started out on the Networks, Internet, Security forum so dont know how it ended up in here, but with having to refresh pages lots might have got me into the wrong one somehow and didnt notice :)

make/model of router might be useful..

did it used to work? or is this a new setup?

diagnosing net connection problems is usually a process of elimination.

in no particular order:

check the easy things first. change the phone/ethernet cables (use short cables if you can) - see what happens.

have you put in a new phone? does it have a line filter on it? try unplugging all the phones + filters.

have you installed any new software/hardware around the time the net started to cause problems? if so uninstall/remove and see what happens.

take the router to a friends house (who has dsl) - try it. if good then the problems your pc or line. if still bad them the problems the router or your router settings.

if the router has been reset to factory defaults as you say, then check the router settings have been correctly set to your ISP's settings (this should actually be the first step). Check PPPoE/PPPoA and VC/LLC settings match the ISP. Depending on how your ISP operates you can often still connect even if these are wrong, you just don't get a good connection. also check the MTU. try drop it to 1492 (factory default will probably be 1500).

open the routers status screen and look at the "Line Attenuation" and "Noise Margin" numbers. (google them for an explanation). if you have lots of noise on the line this will cause connection problems. some ISP's have the option to drop your speed a little to improve stability.

clear any proxy settings in the internet options unless your ISP tells you to use one.

Depending on what ISP you have, you'd have to configure it a certain way. For instance, I have the WGT624 from netgear. I'm using Verizon so I have to put in my username and the domain in one of the router's config. pages. Netgear has a section where they tell you how to configure the router for many ISPs. Just do a search of your router on their site and look for anything about ISP configuration.