Converting a UDP port to a TCP port?

MrChris

If I have a Application that connects to the internet via a UDP port but the LAN I am on it blocking outboubd UDP traffic on all UDP ports is there ANY way I would be able to work around this if? Right now all I can do is change the UDP port to anything I want but it stays as a UDP port.

Best of Regards,

MrChris

Hamachi VPN! I have a few client sites I go to that have locked down local LAN's and I cannot get hamachi to work for the life of me!

MrChris

I'm guessing your trying to use the Magic Option in Hamachi. Have you tried port 80?

You could probably get some expert advice by asking the Hamachi creator (Alex Pankrat) or enthusiasts at http://forums.hamachi.cc :)

Well. I have tried the Magic option with various different ports. I believe the problem is that hamachi uses UDP ports to access its bibi.hamachi.cc mediation server. I have posted some questions over there already but was still waiting for any advise. I just know that there are some pretty GEEKY :) people over here on this board and thought I would ask.

MrChris

My Ideas was that of......

I am not a programmer by any means (shy of a little AutoIt stuff) but

Have a little systray app or so that could run as a local server or so that could redirect/convert a UDP port to a TCP port. like If Hamachi or any other app is trying to access bibi.hamachi.cc I could add a entry in my HOST file to point bibi.hamachi.cc to 127.0.0.1 on port 1234 for example and this little systray app would listen for this connection and relay it out of my network via a TCP port.

The problem with changing it from UDP to TCP is the other end has to be willing to accept a TCP packet.. They are not interchangeable.With TCP there are handshakes and acknowledgements.. .UDP there are none..

Tunneling UDP over TCP can be done as those links describe... but only if the other end completes the tunnel..

The best way I can think of for you.. depending on what type of firewall you have.. allow those UDP packets out of your network(specifically the Hamachi packets) or set up some sorta proxy on the outside of the network that will complete the UDP/TCPtunnel and forward the packets to the mediation server using UDP

you could also set up a rule in your firewall to allow UDP packets destine for the mediation server out.

Most all of the networks I go to I am unable to control/change the routers/firewalls since most of them are police depts big and small.

Well I guess I could use one of those UDP tunneling apps from above and just run the server side of it from one of my local servers that I can control including the router/firewall and use that when I am at a site where I cannot controle the network or firewall.

I jsut need to figure out how to use one of them in conjuntion with hamachi.

Thanks for the replys and info.

MrChris