Renamed admin acct, receive error about permissions or access

videobruce

This isn't my box.

I can't remember the exact message, but running XP home sp2, I renamed the admin account using that hidden 'control userpasswords2' panel (as I have done many times in 2k) by clicking on "users must enter a username......" checkbox, highlighting the admin account, clicking on Properties, and changing the "admin" name to a custom user name. Gave that account a password and unchecked the privious checkbox regarding entering a user name. Then, I deleted the existing custom admin. account. I logged off, but when I tried to log back on I received this message about privilges or something like that. Mind you, it's not a password or user name issue, this I never saw before.

I guess I screwed myself as I can get into the box now. Is there any programs that would boot from a CD (since that is the only way I can think of gaining access to the HDD other than removing it from this box and temporary added it to another box that would allow me some ability to change permissions or whatever needs to be done??

Hope that made sense.

Edited by videobruce

The right way to rename the admin account is to go in gpedit.msc, computer configuration, windows parameters, security parameters, local policies, security options, Account:rename administrator account.

As for getting back to where you were, boot with either bartpe or ERD commander.Then open regedit, select HKey_LOCAL_machine, go to the file menu, select load hive, select the file "default" which should be in c:\windows\system32\config on your hard drive. You'll be asked to choose a name, type syshive. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\syshive\Control Panel\desktop and modify the following keys:

ScreenSaveActive=1

ScreenSaveTimeOut=60

SCRNSAVE.EXE=c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

Then select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\syshive and go to the file menu, select unload hive. Reboot your computer and wait about 1min with touching the mouse or the keyboard after boot. A Dos box should open after 1min instead of the screen saver and from here revert your change, you should have the rights to do it.

It looks like you deleted the only other account apart from the built-in Administrator account, so in normal mode you have no account left to logon - and remember XP HE won't allow you to logon to the Administrator account EXCEPT in Safe Mode. You have to have another account to logon in normal mode in XP HE.

In XP HE, the built-in Administrator account can only be accessed in Safe Mode. It cannot be deleted. So it can't be this account that you deleted. By default it has no password. If you set a pw you should still be able to logon in Safe Mode. So try that. Keep things simple, before rushing to boot with WinPE.

The right way to rename the admin account is to go in gpedit.msc,

In XP HE, there's no gpedit.msc.

Edited by Takeshi

it looks like you deleted the only other account apart from the built-in Administrator account, so in normal mode you have no account left to logon - and remember XP HE won't allow you to logon to the Administrator account EXCEPT in Safe Mode.
Correct on the first.

Safe Mode, I never thought about that since I hardly ever have to use it. If I boot into safe mode, how would that change/help things?

LLXX; I have that UBCD4W that I'm going to work on. How can that help (if it works)?

Edited by videobruce

If I boot into safe mode, how would that change/help things?

LLXX; I have that UBCD4W that I'm going to work on. How can that help (if it works)?

Simply because once you logon in Safe Mode using the Administrator account, you can go to User Accounts to create a new account. It's just that simple.

Unless you know how to do the same using WinPE/BartPE by modifying the SAM, it's a non-starter.

I always use ntpasswd when I have a computer with an unknown PW. Read up on how to use it, it'll works like a charm. I have however had one XP machine in probably a hundred which this did not work, I then had to do some more research and ended up finding another app called Wanky in which you load it when doing a windows install when it says press F6 to load 3rd party drivers. I would try the ntpasswd first, dump the SAM accounts, select one, change the password. That will most likely work, if not let me know and I can hook you up with Wanky! ;)

You renamed it but it should still be there.
It's still there. It's just I dont have access (again, I forgot the exact error message).
always use ntpasswd when I have a computer with an unknown PW.
Again, it,s not a password problem!

The exact message (as I was told) is:

Unable to log because you have an access restriction
I questioned the wording and he said that was it. Someone else suggested this is the message;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303846/en-us

I tried on my 2nd bootable HDD that I have XP Pro w/sp2 installed and I couldn't get it to fail no matter what I did, renaming and/or deleting accounts. :no:

Edited by videobruce

It's more like what's described in this KB, which is entirely consistent with what I said before.

I said to logon in Safe Mode but from your replies so far it doesn't seem you or whoever the computer belongs to has tried it.

On top of that, it's not your computer and from what you said, you're not entirely sure what is happening either. This makes it even more difficult for us here to try to help. Things just don't quite add up. Perhaps there's something else going on that you or we don't know about.

With due respect, I really think it would help if you actually go and see the exact error message or determine what else happened. Otherwise we're left guessing what really is going on.

Ok, not the same article number, but it's the same heading! The difference is the circustances. One is "XP based" and the other is "XP home" One uses gpedit and the other doesn't. It's my understanding that the 'home' version doesn't have gpedit.

If he will not try Safe Mode then frankly I've been wasting my time.
I'll trade you my time for yours that I have spent..............

Next time I'm there I'll see if I can try safe mode and create a new account since that seems to be the problem. Another in the list of why I hate FP. :realmad: