Drive Mirroring Software

Marlby23

Hi. I'm looking for a drive mirroring solution. Im not sure if an imaging software (acronis, ghost) suits my needs since i just want to mirror a disk with another, possibly with the minimun impact on my system.

I want to back up the data of a non partitioned, secondary, system independent drive. I'm planning on getting a drive of the same capacity and copying all the files over. Now, im looking for a software capable of updating the back-up drive incrementally.

BTW, i dont think a realtime mirroring solution will do since im planning to attach the drive once a week or so only to mirror the drive.

Any suggestions? :ph34r:

Hmmm.... at first I was thinking Ghost, Ghost... but for an incremental periodic constantly updated mirror Ghost will not work for you. I know Veritas make some great software for this, however I'm sure someone out there knows of a better shareware/freeware solution for your needs.

I thought you were asking about RAID. Is RAID out of the question then?

If you update a drive incrementally, then it's not a true mirroring is it?

You can actually copy an entire partition/drive. Are you really after a synchronising utility?

Hmm yep, i believe RAID is out of the question.

I think i got the mirroring term wrong indeed, sorry. By mirroring i meant that i want the second drive to reflect the changes of the 1st every time i want to backup. I could just copy the data but i constantly update the files on the disk and the problem is that i don't know how to keep track of the newer/added data to add to the backup disk.

Maybe a synchronising application will do it. Got any suggestions? :)

You don't need any software to do this its builtin to windows XP.

Check out help under administrative tools/computer managment & click on help this will tell you how to set it up. This is true mirroring & both drives will contain exact copies of data at all times.

This is called raid 1.

Regards

Colin Bate

Thanks for the tip but a RAID setup won't do it. See, the rig with the drive i want to backup is relatively prone to disasters; therefore im reluctant on keeping the 2 drives together all the time.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but technically even a batch file could do it? (copying over the files with a modified date > than the last back time?) anyway im afraid of screw ups so i'd prefer to use a reliable program to do the work.

Regards