SATA is it worth going to it now?

How many ppl out there want SATA at the mo? I am building a new system at the mo and have most of the specs down for it, but i am in a bit of a dillema over the Hard drives to use. Do i go for the SATA drives which trade are not much more than IDE drives or do i stick with IDE for a while then change?? the thing is i dont want to build my new kick a** system only to change the drives a few weeks after any comments will be much appreciated this is the new system specs so far..

Gigabyte GA8-KNXP (mobo)

Intel P4 2.0a ghz

3Dlabs Wildcat VP990 pro 512mb (G/C)

SB Live! 5.1

NEC all formats DVD writer

Watercooling Kit VGA/Chipset/Graphics Card

2x H/D's 120gb either SATA or IDE?

ChiefTec Midi Tower Case

plz help out on the SATA or IDE as i dont want to waste my money on IDE only for SATA to take the stage. :)

I'm building a PC next week, and the motherboard I'm getting has a SATA 150. I for one won't be using SATA yet, as SATA hard drives are currently expensive, and only offers a small speed improvement. I could get converters for my existing IDE Hard drives to work on SATA, but I'm not really bothered.

Faster SATA upgrades will be available next year and the year after.

You might want to read this before you fall for all the hype around these drives....

But in our tests with a pair of Western Digital (WD) 250GB hard drives, one ATA and the other SATA, the performance was darn near the same. SATA drives are more expensive. If you have to add in a PCI SATA card to attach 'em, well, we'd definitely hold off.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/product...3485251,00.html

I reckon you should wait for the price to go down before getting one.

So far I've seen a 120GB SATA HD for around £130 or something in that region and a 180GB IDE HD 7200rpm for £120.

Which one would you go for out of these two? Both have 8mb buffer.

thats the main problem im in the trade and can get a SATA 120gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 for £70, so its not that much more than the IDE versions this is why im wondering if now would be a good time to change? and i know about and have read the specs for SATA2. But i would like some of the new crc and other error checking enhancements currently in SATA and not in IDE i know the performance boost is not that much but some is better then none and hotplugging is something i like to be able to use i like my scsi raid array for having it but that would put me well over budget for the new PC i was wondering if anyone had problems with setups or other minor quirks using SATA in its current form??

:) Parts for it should be arriving in 2-3 days, so I'm looking forward to it!

btw, getting a SATA 120gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 for £70 is really cheap, you should go for it! (get a motherboard that supports SATA and IDE)

In regards to the segate drives, they use a funky power connector, make sure you get a molex to their power convertor.

In regards to SATA drives, i think the only ones worth buying are the WD Raptors. They are small, but very fast, and perfect for a system drive!

:)

|Drew|

• 2 weeks later...