where do i find "nLite.inf" or "nLiteReg"

troyquigley

i have made a unatended install of xp. it installs just fine (no errors). but when i created the install with nlite. it only created one line in the "cmdlines.txt" file.

"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,nLiteReg"

so after xp does finish installing. i go to check all the settings that were supposed to get automatically done for me, well they are not done.

what is the deal with this line "rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,nLiteReg"

and what am i missing?

i have searched my hdd high and low for "nLite.inf" or "nLiteReg"

i have made a unatended install of xp. it installs just fine (no errors). but when i created the install with nlite. it only created one line in the "cmdlines.txt" file.

so after xp does finish installing. i go to check all the settings that were supposed to get automatically done for me, well they are not done.

what is the deal with this line "rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,nLiteReg"

and what am i missing?

OK - i found "nlite.in_"

why don't all the settings that i did in nlite - when i was creating the unattended install. why dont they work ?

and what am i missing?

OK - i found "nlite.in_"

why don't all the settings that i did in nlite - when i was creating the unattended install. why dont they work ?

Any file with the _ on the end of it is a compressed file. To uncompress it:

(At the command line)

expand nlite.in_ nlite.inf

then to recompress it:

makecab nlite.inf NLITE.IN_

As for your last question, that is likely the MOST vague question ever asked.

and what am i missing?

OK - i found "nlite.in_"

Any file with the _ on the end of it is a compressed file. To uncompress it:

(At the command line)

expand nlite.in_ nlite.inf

then to recompress it:

makecab nlite.inf NLITE.IN_

As for your last question, that is likely the MOST vague question ever asked.

Actually I have a very simular problem but I have been ignoring it for a while now due to much larger nlite problems that thank god recently I got working.

Anyway I know the issue is with nlite.inf or an inf of some kind. At the first reboot after my guirunonce is finished I login and I get an error advanced .inf install failed. All I can do is click ok. I have no idea what that is and my best guess is that its the nlite.inf.

Is this the same error you get troyquigley?

I looked at the nlite.inf so I know that the nlite.inf does not do much so its not a big deal. I believe its just a few extra reg tweaks actually.

I have experence building install inf's for apps and drivers and I have also done one with reg tweaks however I cant diagnose how to fix this unless I know where its starting from and what calls it. I think its just a runonce command thats added to the registry and even though I use alot of tweaks writing or rewriting one I have never attepted, yet... LOL

So does anyone have an idea whats wrong with it? Has anyone fixed it?

try looking in "setupapi.log"

i have been getting an error in the nlite.inf on first boot - i just havent got around to figuring out why yet..

from setupapi.log:

#W383 "wab50.PNF" migrate: PNF Language = 0409, Thread = 0c09.
[2006/07/27 15:37:24 984.1]
#-198 Command line processed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nlite.inf,nLiteReg
#E008 Setting registry value HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ForceClassicControlPanel
#E033 Error 5: Access is denied.
#E065 Parsing AddReg section [T] in "C:\WINDOWS\inf\nlite.inf" failed. Error 5: Access is denied.
#E064 Parsing install section [nLiteReg] in "C:\WINDOWS\inf\nlite.inf" failed. Error 5: Access is denied.
[2006/07/27 15:46:25 412.85]
#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsiExec.exe -Embedding 525FAAFE42FC94571BD059DF3CC2AA2E M Global\MSI0000
#I060 Set selected driver.

Nlite.inf normally comes up if you select some of the visual tweaks in nlite...

I have never gotten the visual effects reg tweaks to work in nlite...

Even if you expand the nlite.in_ , the reg tweaks won't work...

You can prevent the error from occuring by extracting the "nlite.in_" file to nlite.ini and placing it the $OEM$\$$ and another copy of the nlite.ini in the

$OEM$\$$\System32.... The error does not appear again...

But most of the reg tweaks that nlite does don't work..

Especially the visual effects reg tweaks...

Hope this information helps @Madhits45

BTW.. You can expand the "nlite.in_" file using 7zip

Edited by lennierv

WOW sweet... thanks.. Ill try that lil trick. I actually have all the visual tweaks done with other reg entries so not a big deal there. I was missing one of the security reg tweaks the nlite.inf has in it so hopefuly your trick will fix that,,

THANKS A BUNCH

Wait so the Nlite.in_ goes into these directories as nlite.ini or nlite.inf

"You can prevent the error from occuring by extracting the "nlite.in_" file to nlite.ini and placing it the $OEM$\$$ and another copy of the nlite.ini in the

$OEM$\$$\System32.... The error does not appear again..."

Was that a typo or is it supposed to be changed to ini?

Thanks