Preventing R2 Install from running.

fiber

I have a Windows Server 2003 SP1 image that I have used nLite to remove some of the unncessary stuff.

However, when I boot up for the first time it asks to continue the installation by wanting to install R2.

Is there any way to prevent this from starting?

Was this ever figured out? I am trying to do the same thing (prevent r2 from attempting to install disc 2. If I use a regular server 2003 key it says invalid key though. Only my R2 key works.

How can I set that reg key at boot time?

JuMz,

I am trying to automate the R2 install to silently succeed but having no luck. I always get prompted at first logon after the install has run cd2chain.

Looking in the deploy.chm I appear to have all the right settings in the GUIRunonce. Can you tell me how you did it please?

cheers,

Sure thing...What typically happends is that the R2 setup starts and also asks for your R2 CD IF it is not in the a specific location specified in the registry. What I do is run the R2, then change those specfic keys to point to where my CD actually is. I think the code below will clarify my confusing statements above.

EDIT: This is my RunOnceEx.cmd...OEM is a specific folder copied to the "systemdrive" using the $oem$\$1 structure. Essentially, my Cmpnents folder is also copied directly to the C drive and it is not the first place the installer will look (by default, I believe it will look at the drive in which you installed the OS). In my case, since this is a Server OS, I find it wise to keep all sources required for additional components stored directly on the HD so if you have to add things like IIS for example, you don't need to look for the CD, its already on your HD and the OS knows where to look for it via the reg commands below...hope this clears some things up

CMDOW @ /HID 
@ECHO OFF

SET TAGFILE=\OEM
FOR %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" set CDDRIVE=%%i:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Configuring Your System" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Completing Windows Server 2003 R2 Setup" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%CDDRIVE%\cmpnents\r2\setup2.exe /q /a" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 2 /D "cmd /c reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup /v SourcePath /t REG_SZ /d %CDDRIVE% /f" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 3 /D "cmd /c reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup /v ServicePackSourcePath /t REG_SZ /d %CDDRIVE% /f" /f

Edited

Edited by JuMz

I have a Windows Server 2003 SP1 image that I have used nLite to remove some of the unncessary stuff.

However, when I boot up for the first time it asks to continue the installation by wanting to install R2.

Is there any way to prevent this from starting?

Hi,

Maybe that's because you've used the 1st CD of a R2 Release. Try with a CD of 2003 SP1 only (without R2). I know the 1st CD is almost the same but if it wasn't released with R2, how could it ask for it now ?

Cheers.

I foudn the part that tells how to silently install R2. But what I am trying to do is prevent the R2 part from even attmepting to setup (not needed in my case). Is this possible or should I just go back to my original w2k3 CD and slipstream sp1 and all updates (was hoping r2 would contain sp1 and most updates already and require less manual slipstreaming).