Do I need a better router?

JohnMK

Hi there,

I'm the not so proud owner of a Linksys BEFSR11 router. My ISP sold it to me last year for very cheap, and it works if all I do is insanely simple stuff like browsing, e-mail, etc. But open up a fark.com photoshop page with TONS of big images, or start up a bittorrent* network download, and the damned thing requires a power cycle at random intervals (meaning, I have to unplug it, replug it in because it freezes and all traffic grounds to a halt), sometimes every 30 minutes, sometimes it'll go for an hour of a bittorrent download. What's going on here? Is there a router that won't crash when connected to so many addresses at one time?

Thank you for your help. :)

*For those unfamiliar with bittorrent, it's a P2P file sharing program that connects you to dozens of other people to get a fast download speed, and in turn uploads the portion of the file you've downloaded so far, to others.

I had a simlilar problem on a switch i had...i seperated the connections with a port gap in between each connection, and it seems to help....but im not sure if this is an option.

Regardless sounds like you need a replacment.

|Drew|