Building a small network

JohnMK

Hello there,

My plan is to share my (lightly used) bandwidth with my neighbors. I have 768/384 ADSL from Newedge Networks & our local ISP with 8 static IP addresses leased, a router, a 10/100 switch, two computers in my house, two computers in their house. I anticipate laying cat5 ethernet cable in the crawl space beneath each house, with about 40 feet of cat5 buried beneath the ground half a foot or so connecting our two homes. I will run a line from my switch to a hub or switch beneath their house, at which location separate runs will be made to each computer. About 6 months ago we tried a wireless setup but that didn't work as far out as we needed it to. Here are my questions:

1) What's your general opinion on this setup?

2) Do you know of any inexpensive wireless hardware that would reach farther than what I've tried?

3) Where do you suggest finding cat5 cable that can stand being buried beneath ground about 6" and tolerate water, freezing temps, etc.

4) At some point beneath my neighbor's house, I will have to run into a hub or switch. Will this switch have to be something special to protect it from freezing temps? I don't anticipate ANY water ever reaching it at this location.

5) Is there anything else you think I should know?

I'm at a loss at this point as to how to proceed. Please tell me what to do . . .

Thank you

Charge them a monthly fee for using your Internet...

I wouldn't use anything wireless, because that could be easily hacked without a decent VPN...

The setup should be good...I would have a router in your house and in their's so that they could do what they want with it, and so could you...

BTW, you might want to think about putting the wire in an insulated pipe and passing it beneath the ground so it does not freeze! :rolleyes:

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the response. Of course I will be splitting the cost of my bandwidth with them 50/50. About avoiding wireless, you're probably right. About the cat5 ethernet cable freezing, how do low temps affect cat5? I thought there was such a thing as weather-proofed cat5 that could tolerate more than normal cat5. I'm not really willing to do anything more complex than string high-quality weather-proofed cat5 between our homes, an insulated pipe & all would be more complicated than we're looking for and just possibly unnecessary. We don't get the same absolute zero temperatures here in western Washington State that they get in the Midwest. :)

Where else might I place my original post to generate some more opinions? Are there specialized networking forums?

well if you get the cabling below the frostline, you should be good to go. depending on the temps it should be around 24-36" below ground. the only problems is it doesnt sound like you have basements to run into (to keep it below the frostline). you could use plenum cable... but i dont know how temps are going to affect its performance.

as for the switch, why not put it in a closet somewhere at their house?

This is HIGHLY ILLEGAL. If you don't believe me have a look at your ISP TOS and/or AUP. Stealing cable is a federal offense. Your neighbor would be stealing cable and you would be assisting him.

I would advise you to be careful and I would advise that this should not be discussed on MSFN.

i think whether or not it is legal or illegal depends on his TOS. he has been assigned 8 ips, and he is just going to be using his ip's. the only sketchy part is some of those ip's are going to be at a different location.

oh and charging for it is definitely not legal, maybe ask for a donation instead? :)