Internet Security for Windows 98 questions

minhgi

Andromeda,

Question: How can I delete my old Mcafee crapola when it is on my Win98 Control Panel and who knows where else? I used the uninstall feature on Mcafee and it did not tell me I failed, but the Mcafee emblem still comes up when I boot and a Mcafee icon is on my Control Panel. I can Hilight an Icon on the control panel, but when I click the big delete X, nothing happens. I would expecially love to be able to delete from my Control Panel, because in addition to the old Mcafee icon I also have a rogue WinAntiVirusPro 2006 icon on My control panel. Ad-Aware se saw WinAntiVirusPro 2006 and did not see it again after I quarantined and deleted it using Ad-aware. I see it on my Control Panel, but it could be other places as well. Would appreciate any suggestions you have. thanks!

Andromeda,

Question: How can I delete my old Mcafee crapola when it is on my Win98 Control Panel and who knows where else? I used the uninstall feature on Mcafee and it did not tell me I failed, but the Mcafee emblem still comes up when I boot and a Mcafee icon is on my Control Panel. I can Hilight an Icon on the control panel, but when I click the big delete X, nothing happens. I would expecially love to be able to delete from my Control Panel, because in addition to the old Mcafee icon I also have a rogue WinAntiVirusPro 2006 icon on My control panel. Ad-Aware se saw WinAntiVirusPro 2006 and did not see it again after I quarantined and deleted it using Ad-aware. I see it on my Control Panel, but it could be other places as well. Would appreciate any suggestions you have. thanks!

You might be best to go back to a previously sound registry then run your av/spyware software.

Have a look at scanregw

http://www.mdgx.com/98-1.htm#SCANREG98

and how to go back to a previous saved registry

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip10.htm RESTORE DAMAGED REGISTRY

hopefully you have a copy saved before your trouble started

Please read thoroughly and be carefull

If you just want to delete the left behind icons in your control panel make sure explorer view folder options view Hidden files click show all files then ok and search for *.cpl. Again be carefull in deleting the right ones

Edited by oscardog

Andromeda,

LurkHere Tech Support - McAfee Uninstall Instructions - All Flavors