add files to CABs?

janus zeal

Anyone has more info on creating Windows 98 multi-cab files?

Cabinet Software Development Kit contains detail Microsoft MakeCAB User’s Guide and other documentation, it is a bit old but I think there were not many changes. I have used it to re-package Internet Explorer IE_S1.CAB to IE_S6.CAB.

Not related to this topic - you can update and add files to the IExpress package with the UPDFILE tool without having to rebuild the package. I was able to locate UPDFILE utility here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/net...en-us/nm3rk.exe

Petr

Edited by Petr

IZArc is a freeware which supports creating non-spanned CAB archives (use LZX compression for best results)
That won't do, since the win98 cabs *are* spanned, and I doubt it can produce the layout file (INF) which describes the locations of the files, and is required by win98 setup to work correctly. (MakeCAB does all of this and a lot more - besides, it's what M$ used to create the original 98 setup package.)

You can easily add or replace files in cabs, either by removing these, or by redirection in the INF file.

You need to get something like setupp.inf, or layout.inf out and put them in the install folder. Then create your own cab with extras etc in them, and add these to setupp.inf and layout.inf.

W

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...iew=getlastpost

I've managed to rebuild the 98se installation CAB set.

MakeCAB Report: Wed Aug 09 22:42:07 2006

Total files: 6,884

Bytes before: 342,505,419

Bytes after: 124,118,919

After/Before: 36.24% compression

Time: 582.89 seconds ( 0 hr 9 min 42.89 sec)

Throughput: 573.83 Kb/second

Now all I need to do is to update many of the 6000+ files that make up the 98se distro, remove some unnecessary crap, and rebuild to create a Windows 98 Third Edition :thumbup

Edited by LLXX