Office Patcher

Tomcat76

• 1 month later...

@TAiN

Yes. You just include the hotfixes that you want to include.

@ivans2605

Lack of time, I'm afraid. I got my hands full with HFSLIP already.

It would make things easier for me if anyone can give me a full list of hotfixes for a particular Office distribution (the first Office CD is good enough) so I can put up an "alpha release". The difficulty lies in finding out which MSP files are to be ignored. The script in its current state is only useful if the Office source has already been patched recently.

@Tomcat76

I've just installed an unattended Microsoft Office Professional Enterprise Edition 2003

(Danish version) with slipstreamed SP2, it contains:

Access, Excel, InfoPath, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher & Word.

13 available Hotfixes according to MS Update (2006-Dec-11):

Office 2003 (KB919029)

Outlook 2003 'spamfilter' (KB921587)

Word 2003 (KB923094)

Office 2003 (KB923097)

PowerPoint 2003 (KB923091)

Office 2003 (KB924424)

Excel 2003 (KB923088)

Office 2003 (KB923272)

Publisher 2003 (KB894542)

InfoPath 2003 (KB920103)

Office 2003 (KB914455)

Outlook 2003 (KB913807)

Office 2003 (KB907417)

Greetings, Ivan

Merry Xmas :)

I guess i will add my 2 cents:

Office 2000 updates:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/download...0225771033.aspx

Office 2003 updates:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/download...0798601033.aspx

Office XP updates:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/download...0225741033.aspx

Not realy hard to find those ;)

I've used Administrative Office Point for longer while now and i encountred couple of good and bad things in it. One problem is that Office Update thru WWW doesn't work on most updates (usually those packages that are somewhat connected to earlier update that was slipstreamed already). So i had to solve it. Usually when you install Office on someone's computer and then you update your administrative install with new updates you want to update computers aswell. And since they can't realy use Update Office thru WWW they can do that by clicking setup.exe on Administrative point setup and it will ask them if they want to upgrade their rls. But that requires user interaction so usually users won't even want to hear about that. The funny thing about it is that the UPGRADE is actually whole reinstalation of office :/ (ye i know a bit bad). So back to the point. I wrote little app that checks computer for domain, checks for nearest server to the user and then checks for installed office XP, 2003, 2000, and then (this feature is not yet added but i already thought about it and it wouldn't be problem) it compares Serial Number for office if it matches company serial number. If it does it updates the office automatically, if it doesn't then it terminates. Also the program would need to have some block so you can't update every 1 hour but like every 1-2 weeks because of huge bw/load that would occur when couple of users would decided to upgrade their office every 5 minutes (because like i said it reinstalls office and there's no real alternative to that). Also it would need just some simple function so when you install office the updater would be installed to the same Dir and all shortcuts created. Atm program is a bit personalized but i think i could release it aswell and if TomCat would be interested we could prepare some nice/easy deployment of office if of course needed. Anyways, wrote too much things already ;p

hello,

I started something like this already for office 2003 only. It's not done but it works great!

check out my post

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=592679

I was hoping somebody might notice it and sticky it or add it to

MSFN Forums > Member Contributed Projects > Other Member Contributed Projects

Might motivate me to add support for other office versions and project / visio support :yes:

Edited by OverFlow

That's nice. I was thinking about making it in AutoIt with GUI and all :) Much cleaner etc. Pictures are very early engine test version. FIrst one is Office installer that you send to ppl thru email and they start it .. program checks for network, detects version of office and checks for domain. Gets office installer from closest server and install stuff ;)

post-84180-1167447493_thumb.jpg

This program is office updater i was talking about. After updating Administrative image you just run that program on each computer (would need to make some installer switch so the shortcut to it is added after office installation) and it updates current office ;)

Anyway i'm very lazy latly and since usually there is hardly any appreciation for such projects i'm not into this much :)

That's nice. I was thinking about making it in AutoIt with GUI and all :) Much cleaner etc. Pictures are very early engine test version. FIrst one is Office installer that you send to ppl thru email and they start it .. program checks for network, detects version of office and checks for domain. Gets office installer from closest server and install stuff ;)

snip snip

Anyway i'm very lazy latly and since usually there is hardly any appreciation for such projects i'm not into this much :)

you said "After updating Administrative image"

Mine ACTUALLY slipstreams the patches to the administrative installation. So it is totaly different.

By using group policy and transforms it would also autoupdate existing installs eliminating the need to do anything at each machine. I dont have time to visit all the machines I am admin for.

Edited by OverFlow

no GUI or user input required if you set it up on the server correctly

if you put the admin install on cd for a standalone install microsoft updates will handle it for the user.

again nothing special required.

Edited by OverFlow

@slimy there is no need for this with office 2007.

All you do for the updates is place them in the updates folder and during install it will automatically run them..

Including service packs? I think I would still rather slipstream it when it comes out ;)

Thanks and thanks again Kelsenellenelvian!

1. For answering Slimy

2. I upgraded to WPI 5.6 from your Sig.

U R Awsome!

Where to download this utility for Office XP?

TIA

I didnt include support for XP yet.

I could without much trouble but you are only the second person to even reply to one of my posts with any question or feedback.

Edited by OverFlow