HP Crap Question?

Misha

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion a1467c media center pc with am AMD 64x2 4200 and all the other misc crap they put in it and instal on it. When removing one of the sata connectors the plastic base came off of the mother board. I got it put back and it works. But that isn't the problem I have. The mobo mfg is MSI I was wondering if I replace it with another MSI micro atx mobo with an ATI chipset would I be able to use the rescue disks that I made for the old mobo. I don't know if HP is like Dell and does the bios check before they instal or repair. I also am unsure if it did instal would Windows MCE be forgiving enought to run until I got the correct chipset drivers installed. Please help if possible.

Thank You.

If you do that, I'd like to know if the Royalty OEM bios files (search the forums for that fascinating topic) from your rescue discs will play nice with the new MOBO or will you have to install with the OEM COA sticker code and call MS to activate it. (OEM sticker codes do install windows, but won't activate a standard OEM copy of windows, call to MS is required--- which is another fascinating little discussion elsewhere here).

Regarding the mohterbaod, ensure that is also the same BIOS revision, as that will make the difference between doing what you want, and not be able to do what you want. Here is alittle Microsoft OEM class.

This is Microsofts defnietion of OEM

What is an OEM license?

ANSWER. An “OEM” license is a license distributed by an Original Equipment Manufacturer, or an “OEM.” An OEM is a person or company who builds and sells computers. Some OEMs also distribute software, especially operating systems such as Microsoft® Windows.

If I “retire” a PC with an OEM license on it, can I use that software on a new PC?

ANSWER. No. To put it simply, OEM product is “married” to the original PC on which it was installed. Current OEM licenses are not transferable from one machine to another. The software cannot be moved from PC to PC, even if the original PC it was installed on is no longer in use. This is true for all OEM software – operating systems and applications.

If I upgrade some of my PC components, do I have to purchase a new operating system?

ANSWER. The answer depends on the components that are upgraded or changed in the PC. The operating system licenses must remain with the device that retains the motherboard, chipsets, and chassis that include the serial number of the device. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive.

Jup, a new mobo goes with a new license, but I hear that MicroSoft isn’t so bad and you just need to activate your license again (for free) by calling them. I think the rescue disc will work but I’m not sure of it b/c of the different drivers for the SATA controller.

Why not throw in a VGA card?

Why you like to change the whole motherboard?