[Question]Can i connect right and left audio output to mono?

grafx1

Hi,

Can i connect right and left audio output channels (satellite receiver) to mono input channel (TV) through Y connection (2 rca to 1 rca), or there were be harm on the output system as the R & L signals will be connected together ??

Thanks.

Edited by grafx1

Technically speaking, the mono port is actually just the left channel, but using a Y-adapter, it would not be recommended, as the single mono input of the TV would not handle it (in a way it does not know how to handle it), you are pretty much causing cross-talk and a dangerous audio signel crash. IT would eventually short the port out. Not right away but in due time.

I forgot, what is your current cable configuration. Are they all RG-6 grade cable, RG-59 or a combo of the two. As i have mentioned in a past post, Use all RG-6 cable, if you must use RG-59, then use it no longer then 1 meter.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru

Depending on your satellite receiver you should be able to go into the audio menu

And select mono output and then just connect your left output to you TV’s audio input.

Edited by RJM

You could do that, setup up in the reciver, with that it suppose to combine the signals internally and send to your tv through the Left channel to simulate mono, however some recivers do not support his feature (depending on your service) so just connecting to left channel is best.

Thank you sooo much for the info

@ RJM: the receiver don't support changing audio to mono.

@ Shindo_Hikaru: i'm connecting through left audio channel right now,

this is the first time to know that "the mono port is actually just the left channel" :D

and about the cables, i'm using RG-6 grade cable, i was asking about the cables because i want to add a second receiver but found that i must have a dual LNB to do so, or the 2 receivers will fight on one LNB...

Thanks.

dual LBN, wow, i have not seen that kind of setup in 7 years, here in the states it is different and has a advance layout.

Then you really need to start getting out more and start looking at the current satellite dish's in the market. About 99% of the dish's in the market are dual LNBF's and some are triple LNBF.

There is no advance layout or simple layout for satellite dishes. You either have a

1) Single LNBF (legacy systems used by older DirecTV models).

2) Dual LNBF (used by almost all Dish Network customers and now basic model for all DirecTV customers).

3) Triple LNBF (used by DirecTV to serve some local channel markets and used otherwise to offer HD programming).