Hardware ramdisk?

newsposter

Ok, I've found the gigabyte SATA ramdisk ($150!!) and loads of flash memory DOM IDE solid state disk that could easily be used as ramdisks (except for the obvious flash memory read-write cycle limitations).

Does anyone know of a PCI card ramdisk that takes standard DDR modules and uses an IDE cable connection? I'd just as soon not use SATA or a software-driver based ram disk.

Thanks!

Ah, my first sentance/first post says that I've already found the gigabyte ramdisk card, that one requires the use of an SATA connector in addition to the PCI card slot both fo which I'd really like to avoid using.

Anyone else??

USB2 is pretty quick, but study after study shows that for random r/w disk operations, firewire kills USB2 by a minimum of 25%. In straight sequential reads (such as reading camera cards or a cd/dvd optical disk), things even out some but 1394 is still faster.

For a USB box it's easy enough to 'roll your own' with a 44 pin ATA flash drive and an external case.

I'm looking for something faster than I could get using flash memory disk emulators. This points to something internal on IDE or external on firewire assuming that the base memory tech is DDR and not flash.

Edited by newsposter

Does anyone know of a PCI card ramdisk that takes standard DDR modules and uses an IDE cable connection? I'd just as soon not use SATA or a software-driver based ram disk.

You were asking for it and I gave it to you, only you need an adaptor to switch from IDE on your mobo to the SATA of that card ;).

Any thing else would be a solid state disk, that is not a PCI card ramdisk :P.