Creative Gameport

Exodite

After a long session tracking down what I needed to get the Windows Update website working fully with nLite 1.0.1 final and Windows XP Home sp2 (eng) I've encountered another problem.

When installing the drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS the Creative Gameport suffers from a "Drivers not installed" issue which I can't seem to fix.

The logical keeper would be Hardware Support/Ports (COM and LPT) but I've previously used to remove this and were still able to use the Creative Gameport.

Well, not use maybe as I've got nothing to use it for but it didn't complain over missing drivers.

The Gravis Digital Gameport option does nothing for me either and I'd be grateful for any replies and tips before I go into another trial and error session. :)

Technically speaking, the ageing game port needs to die along with the serail ports on the back. Which is why most gaming instruments are USB.

Oh I agree!

To go further I have no need of serial, parallell, firewire or ps2 ports either. Nor do I need a PATA controller or PCI slots as I have nothing that uses either and will never buy old harware anyway.

Unfortunatly the motherboard manufacturers doesn't seem to cater to my group of users, even as far as a single board out of their portfolio.

I don't use the gameport, I just want to figure out what components it needs to work.

I don't remove the Gravis Digital GamePort and nothing shows up as uninstalled in my Device Manager. Although, even when it was removed, I experienced no audio problems with any games.

I don't remove the Gravis Digital GamePort and nothing shows up as uninstalled in my Device Manager. Although, even when it was removed, I experienced no audio problems with any games.

I don't have any audio problems, when installing the Creative Gameport I get that little yellow exclamation mark that complains about some missing drivers.

I thought it were the Gravis Digital Gamport component as well at first but keeping it made no difference.

Edited by Exodite

In Device Manager, after a normal installation, you'll should find, under "Sound, video and game controllers", an entry for "Creative Game Port". The driver is "gameenum.sys" (Game Port Enumerator, v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), modified: Tuesday, 03 August 2004, 10:08:22 pm).

But Creative's very cagey; that's really Microsoft's "Standard Game Port" driver, co-opt by Creative to make you think it's *there* driver. So...you need to make sure the *Microsoft Driver* isn't removed; then Creative's install routine can Do-It's-Thing (but *we* know...).