Would this setup work?

You answered your own question in the first post? Why not do things the simple way? :lol:

I know that it is possible to have two independent cable internet modems on the same cable network, but most ISPs will require two separate accounts for this to work, meaning that you'll end up paying twice as much.

Well at the moment, I have a router downstairs connected via ethernet to a computer and wirelessly to two laptops. I have got another connection on the same phone line upstairs and wanted to abandon wi-fi. So, instead of trailing two ethernet cables through the walls and up the stairs I was going to use the phone line upstairs to connect to the two laptops via ethernet. I was trying to avoid buying a router as it could be abit of an inconvenince. Telephone wires are much 'thinner' and more discrete and easier to hide, I was planning on putting the two modems in two different rooms. Although will probably just buy the router now and do my best to conceal it.

thanks for the help :D

If your goal is to avoid wi-fi then you might consider HomePlug powerline networking devices. They tend to get a bad rap on reviews but I have found them to be a worthwhile alternative when circumstances don't allow wi-fi.

If your goal is to avoid wi-fi then you might consider HomePlug powerline networking devices. They tend to get a bad rap on reviews but I have found them to be a worthwhile alternative when circumstances don't allow wi-fi.
I've tried something like that before. Convenient, but the connection tends to be unreliable and slow. It depends on your existing power infrastructure and quality.

So if I have got my router downstairs and I want my PC upstairs to have internet access, there is no other option but: go wireless, run ethernet cables through the house or try to use homeplug devices (although they sound slow/slugish just like wireless).

Is there no way I can utilise the connection I have upstairs to the same phoneline that the router is using downstairs?