Hello group and a ?

SEA18

:hello: all.. my first post here. I just received a Genuine Advantage tag on my machine. I ordered a new certified copy of XP pro from Microsoft. I have had nothing but trouble trying to get an answer on MS own forums. SOI am humbly asking you Will I lose all of my data and have to do a complete reinstall of my hard drive, just to clear the genuine adavantage problem, to get a clean validation? What problems does this include getting a validation tool package what ever that is or what.

Thank you all for your time in advance

SEA18 from Florida

You might be better off posting in the Windows XP Forum.

Some people have been able to remove the genuine tool in Add/Remove programs

If it isnt in there then i dont know because i dont have that problem

Hi and welcome to msfn! M$ has posted on its own website a way to get rid of the wga thingy. Hope this helps. Cheers!

PS. For the mods: if this is against the forum rules (although M$ themselves have put this up on their own site) please remove and accept my apologies.

Edited by nitroshift

Yes, M$ tells you how to remove it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

I'm almost ashamed to admit that as many times that I've seen that link posted, I've never gone there.

I'm an old DOS and Batch file programmer, so when one of my customers complained about getting that annoying message from M$ that his windows was possibly illegal (it really wasn't) I set about finding the offending files and removing them.

A simple DOS batch file took care of the problem.

Since then I've eMailed it to several other people having the same problem.

For those who can't receive executables on their email server, I've placed the "Kill Bogus Key Notification.bat" file on a server where I rent space. Anyone who wants it can download it HERE.

Then don't download the WGA thing again. Or if you do, just run the batch file again to remove it.

There have been many complaints of the M$ WGA thingy giving false positives.

I'm just waiting for the class action suit to be filed against M$ for placing "Spyware" on peoples PC's.

NOTHING should ever be put on your PC without your express permission.

You can also TURN OFF auto-updates and only do manual updates and get just the updates you want.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)