Smoothwall and WindowsXP

return_03

I use Smoothwall to connect to the internet (using dialup) over my home network. I was wondering if my computer is really safe(in case someone gets through the Smoothwall firewall) since the firewall on my computer considers the network a safezone. If anyone has used or is using Smoothwall can you tell me if it is really safe to have it hooked into my home network.

It's a lot safer than the Windows firewall. Any dedicated hardware firewall is better than a software firewall, most of the time. I've heard a lot of good stories about Smoothwall, and have been considering to install it. Odds are that you're pretty safe! ;)

i have been using something similar to smoothie{clarkconnect} for 4+ years and consider it completely safe

unless attacked by nsa or some super hacker. certainly there is nothing to fear from "script kiddies". my log files show multiple scans and attempts at entry daily,none with success.

enjoy your smoothie. it's secure. :yes:

Thats good to know. I have also looked at the log files and noticed a lot of blocked attemps. Pretty cool. As for dial up and smoothwall I have read that it has a hard time with PCI (Win-) modems and USB modems. I am using an old Boca Tidalwave V.90 modem with a serial plug on it. I just plugged that in to the computer, installed an old video card, a NIC card, and some RAM and smoothwall installed and used the dialup. I use smoothwall as my primary internet access. Thanks for the replies. For the person that needs help with smoothwall; I can try, but I can't promise that I''ll be able to help.