creating application installers using InstallRite

:hello:

Recently I've been using the free application InstallRite 2.5 (here) to monitor my application installs, which notes changes to the system and registry when you install an application.

This little application also enables you to customise your application (define what files are installed, associations, shortcuts etc) and create an installer package from the results.

Is there someting I am missing with creating installer packages with this application? It is very simple to use and modify your application installations and create install packages, so I'm wondering why I haven't really heard of this application on these forums before?

What are other memebers experiences with this application?

Edited by piXelatedEmpire

Sure! Heared several times, already.

I have no idea what you just typed :blink:

anyway, let me clarify what I meant. I have searched the forums and indeed found several references to InstallRite. But what I was wondering is what are peoples experiences with using InstallRite to create custom install packages?

Some reasons:

1- It's system specific. Kits valid for Win9x will not work on WinNT, and vice versa.

2- Kits are not editable. If a kit has got a single problem inside, it should be wholly deleted and done from scratch.

3- Sometimes, a kit misses files upon monitoring an installation. Happened to me with Winamp 5.03a.

4- If your app has to do activation, activation will be requested again when you install the kit. Happened to me with NAV 2004.

More, flexible packs are recommended. Examples: SFXs, MSIs, and INFs. So, I monitor using InstallRite, then repack using one of those flexible methods.

However, that's my own opinion. You may have yours.

What are other members experiences with this application?
I also stopped using InstallRite some time ago. It proved a less-than-effective method of installing applications. Google and you'll find quite a bit of criticism surrounding "snap shot" methods of installing programs.