Removing the 'beep' driver?

newsposter

Why not just unplugging the beeper from your mainboard ?

Anyway... this driver is very useful to receive sound notifications during a game getting exclusive access to soundcard (ex. for IM, mail, monitoring tools, IP phone, ....)

I dunno what you call "system beeps", but the soundcards will never play any "beep".

++

most mobo beepers are soldered in, no possibliity to 'unplug' them......

I wonder if I could redefine 'beep' events and map them to a .wav like th erest of MS sounds.

It looks like a simple 'net stop beep' takes care of things.

Annoyances.org gives up a few interesting hints about where to dig into the registry to fiddle with HKCU/AppEvents. This looks like something I can play with in a live system as long as I keep a few notes as I go.

If it can be made to work, this might be a new tweak for Nuhi to integrate.......

Edited by newsposter

Yes but I think it is bad for performance; I remove Sounds from windows because when I am waiting for my computer to complete a heavy task and play Freecell it sometimes plays some music; but the music won't play before 3 seconds.

Removing Beep Driver will give you some perf but remapping will cost much more : your computer will have to read, decode and play a wav file.

Why not just unplugging the beeper from your mainboard ?

Anyway... this driver is very useful to receive sound notifications during a game getting exclusive access to soundcard (ex. for IM, mail, monitoring tools, IP phone, ....)

I dunno what you call "system beeps", but the soundcards will never play any "beep".

++

he means when you hold loads of keys on the keyboard and it beeps at you, or when a service fails to load at startup you'll often get a beep (2003 only maybe)

removing this doesn't remove the windows sound scheme..

i've removed this since it was first introduced in nlite, to test it, just disable it in your current windows setup and see if you 'miss' it

:lol: bledd, i understood what newsposter said.

> 2003 only maybe

not at all ! beeps are made by a regular BIOS interrupt, and all operating systems are able to do it.

Like i said, "soundcard" and "beeps" are not related, thus it beeps even inside a game or any app that gets exclusive soundcard access. (i'm sorry to have used "sound notification" in my previous post, i should have said "audible notification" to avoid confusion)

On the other hand, there is no way (except rewriting beep.drv) to get beeps on the soundcard (because beep.drv has nothing to do with sound drivers)

When i said « I dunno what you call "system beeps" », that were because of the existence of a sound event named "system beep" in windows sound schemes, making more confusion (obviously, this "system beep" is not a beep, it is a sound)

Now it is time to replace "beep" by "bip" :rolleyes:

++