[How-To]NanoXP

Nuno Brito

NanoXP is a free project meant to create size reduced bootable windows XP based builds.

It's a good way to demonstrate some size compression/reduction techniques that can be used in most windows NT based OS.

456233nanoXP-size.PNG

Some of the methods used:

• Selective file criteria when including files and drivers
  • Using CAB'ed files that are supported by the boot process
  • UPX on files that don't support the makecab method
  • Carefull removal of system hives and adapting txtsetup.sif
  • Using freedos-32 dll smaller files that can replace the original ms versions

These scripts have been tested using a Windows XP SP2 as source - Windows 2003 is supported, but adds more 1,5Mb to the final ISO size.

This project uses Open Builder, wich will create the entire build from a windows XP/2003 install CD, based on a similar process used by Bart's PE builder to create PE boot discs.

The scripts are quite readable and easy to understand, to make a build one only needs to indicate the path to the source files (a windows XP/2003 install CD/Folder) and press play to see the results..

This build supports NTFS drives, and allows to add further customizations like changing the screen resolution, keyboard language and drivers.

At the moment only CMD.EXE is tested and supported, other win32 command line programs should work properly, all applications that depend on graphical GUI components won't be compatible with freedos-32 dll's (they remove all GUI functions), you'll need to disable this script to get them working (adding 6Mb to build size), some extra work adding necessary file dependencies might be required.

For graphical support on windows apps, a standard project is also included wich will create 45Mb ISO's, this project includes xoblite as default shell, A43 file manager and the possibility to boot and run your windows from RAM if you use a windows 2003 install CD as source.

Both projects are not intended to replace a working windows XP/2003, produced ISO's are still quite limited when compared to instaled windows versions, it is only focused on support to simple windows applications.

You can always get the latest updated versions included in openbuilder's distribution here: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Boot_Land/index.php?showtopic=107

The last discussion posts on the old host are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Boot_Land/index.php?showforum=39

The current location for all projects discussion is here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums

Original development using batcher as script interpreter and the microPE project can be found here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...6528&st=80#

The nanoXP project is not static or closed source - anyone is free to edit, change and contribute to make it even better, I'll be answering related questions either here or in the home site, since this is still a very young project, there's also a lot of work to do and bug fixing to solve - Any contributions on feedback/development/beta testing are very welcome if you find this project interesting..

Have fun!

:)

Edited by Nuno Brito

hey , I noticed you havn't got a reply yet.

I am very interested in this tool, you used for NanoXP.

Would there be a way to make my small windows xp, boot from a ram drive with it, from an already installed OS, so registry and everything is ready to go games etc,I am looking for that. More than just a secondary less funtional os on the ramdrive. I think 2k3 rc1 or rc2 are fastest.

I would love that, lol.

:D

I can free 64MB ram for a ram drive :D

Edited by gdogg

Related, there is a free trial of Windows XP Embedded which is also small (designed to be booted from a flash card).

It can be downloaded from Micro$oft site.

Edited by LLXX

Lol since when was XPE designed to be booted off a flash card? It was designed for embedded appliances.

lol, of course to wasnt designed to be booted off of a flash card. but it does have the ability to do it.

Holy crap. I wonder if something like LiteStep or blackbox would work without adding much bloat... time for me to try this out. :)

i guess u could also edit the litestep modules and take out stuff that u dont need...