How should the Win9x Power Pack be distributed?

Installer or package?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How should the package be released?

• NSIS Installation Package
    • RAR Archive
    • SFX Package
    • 7zip Archive
    • Not Sure

By The way, the latest compiled edition is 219mb, without the_guy's Windows Me SP. I'm waiting on that, then I'll see about the final size of the package (uncompressed).

on eDonkey.

I'm guessing that you believe it should be available to everyone, on one of the most-used networks. I could see doing that. :)

I'm working on getting this released THIS WEEK. In honour of the end of support from Microsoft.

To minimize the possibility of an infection and also to allow certain operations on the content (selective extraction, etc.), a simple archive would be preferred. Word goes that 7zip has (almost) the best compression around, so that would be the best choice, which is what I voted for.

I agree, however, that a click'n'run installer would be preferrable for the not-so-advanced users, but I'm also unsure if this package (as in "its function") would be indicated for this category of users.

If possible, you could try offering both 7zip and NSIS installer at the same time. An eD2k link could help spreading the package(s) and also cut on your bandwith usage, once other users get the complete file(s), although it might be a slower process.

Good luck and thank you, whatever you choose. :thumbup

Edited by Drugwash

I'm burning a copy at the moment, to test tommorow @ work. I hardly see any Windows Me systems, but most people still have 98SE boxes, so I tend to use my CD every once in a while...

Looks like the only thing I'm missing is the_guy's unofficial Windows Me Service Pack.

I'll see about hosting the file on a box @ work - use edonkey and bittorrent at first, then use other hosting methods. ;)

Edited by jimmsta

Compression/installer archiving method is completely different from torrent/edonkey distribution method.

jimmsta:

If I may make a few suggestions...

No matter which compression method you are going to use, please make sure there will be some kind of menu for choices [1. Install SP2 2. Install DirectX whatever... etc...], and that the file is in exe format.

If you really, really must compress whatever exe to some archive format, please use ZIP format, because not everybody knows about or has 7-zip, WinRAR, WinACE or some other archiving tool.

But almost everybody I know has WinZIP and/or pkzip/pkunzip.

This can be achieved by using 7ZA.EXE, installed as part of 7z command line [DOS box] tool [free GPL]:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7za442.zip

because 7za.exe can compress to ZIP, but to a much smaller size than any other ZIP tool.

To view all 7za.exe switches, just run it like this [example]:

7za > c:\temp\7za.txt

Then open 7za.txt in Notepad.

For example if using Gape's infex, you can compress it with iexpress [LZX maximum compression into CAB format] to compress to maximum possible ratio.

Similar options/menus can be created using NSIS or InnoSetup [examples].

Please note that 7-zip [7z = LZMA] format is very good, but Microsoft's LZX [CAB format] is actually sometimes better, may achieve smaller file sizes, depending on what files you "shrink", on how large they are, and what their contents may be.

HTH

I'll probably distribute the final build as a zip file, which will include an autoplay menu.

If the demand for a 7zip archive is strong, I'll up it as a separate download. At the current moment, the near-complete package is 218mb uncompressed, but it is mostly compressed items, so no matter what compression format I choose to use, the size difference will probably be negligible.

I hadn't thought of that when I created this thread. I really wasn't sure how much the dist. could be compressed, and at the moment, the answer to that question is 'not much'.

I almost used INFex, but it doesn't do everything that I want it to do. I'd love to use NSIS, but then I'd have to create some helper apps, and it would take a few more months to get it out the door.

MDGx, do you really think that people who don't know what 7zip is, should handle jimmsta's package? I think that's just asking for trouble. :wacko:

IMO, one must really know what he's doing, or things might just get screwed up (see the guy that :realmad: hates Revolutions Pack). :rolleyes:

7-Zip can compress to self-extracting executable which adds only a few kbs to the archive. Under this form no one would need 7-Zip installed at the receiving end.

PS : Using solid mode usually yelds the best compression ratios. Sometimes they are amazing.

7-Zip can compress to self-extracting executable which adds only a few kbs to the archive. Under this form no one would need 7-Zip installed at the receiving end.

PS : Using solid mode usually yelds the best compression ratios. Sometimes they are amazing.

Great idea.

I forgot 7-zip can do self-extracting exes. ;)