Sygate & Downloads

After trying most of recommended firewalls I am at present working with Sygate Personal (Free) version. The software seems to be functioning well but I cannot download any files through my Download accellerator nor with any of the browsers. I looked hard to find some setting which would permit me to do this but to no avail. It however does not obstruct/block virus definition file downloads. I can't download files even if I turn off firewall, not even if I terminate the application. Sygate site is for whatever reason not accessible.

Can anyone of you experienced Sygate users point me in the right direction? I am tired of having to switch my downloads to a different PC just for downloading files.

Any & all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Personally I generally dislike Download Accelerators but anyway, what OS and you may want to dump Sygate its been aquired by Symantec and no more free personal firewalls will exist from Norton., I personally like Jetico Personal Firewall

Yes. It still can't download. Please read my post. I don't know what it has done to the system but downloading is impossible.

Personally I generally dislike Download Accelerators but anyway, what OS and you may want to dump Sygate its been aquired by Symantec and no more free personal firewalls will exist from Norton., I personally like Jetico Personal Firewall

Yes. It still can't download. Please read my post. I don't know what it has done to the system but downloading is impossible.

I figured as much. The on line scanning service/site is no longer available. Typical Symantec way of working.

I tried jetico but was not very comfortable in configuring it. It offers very few options or feedbacks. I like Kerio but would be too much of a pain for a newbie client with all the popup conmfirmations. If you let it do quietly the end user would not get anywhere except on his pc.

Edited by pmshah

I take it you can browse the web just fine?

I don't think it's Sygate. I've installed it on a lot of machines and still use it at home. You could try uninstalling it and see if you still have the problem (reboot after uninstalling). If the problem is still there, you can reinstall it.

Try Outpost Firewall. And why are you even using a download accelerator?

The idea of using download accellerator is to schedule the downloads. During working business hours on dsl connecrtions we have monthly quotas on downloads but between midnight & 8.00 am there is no linit. So most users prefer to have the system start up & finish downloads during this period. Secondly many sites do permit resume but not multiple threads. They are not very fast either. In such situation dap will download different threads rom different hosts to finish the job faster.

I am looking for FREE firewall. As it is customers b***h about shelling out for the OS, leave alone addon software. What I want to avoid are service calls because they were lax in their internet behaviour & ended up with virus/spyware practically killing the machine performance.

Edited by pmshah